Chapter 14

Minnie was right about the diving part, though it involved a lotta rescuing too. I'd just helped a chum o' mine from Gryffindor to procure Gillyweed, so he could breathe comfortably underwater. "I never thought yer Herbology skills would come in handy some day." he thanked. "Good luck, mate! Make us proud! " I wished, before turning to Barty an' noticing his smirk. "Paulie's got a boyfriend! " he teased. "Shut up! " I retorted through gritted teeth. "Isn't yer girlfriend here to wish you bonne chance? " I teased, imitating Minnie's posh voice. He began to search around for her on realizing that she was indeed missing, but was interrupted by a splash from behind im as the participants dived into the Lake to complete the Task- to retrieve an item that'd been stolen by the merpeople from each of em. Barty was the first to emerge victorious from the water with the item - a shivering, but relieved Minnie - in his arms. They bobbed about in the water, sharing a kiss an' laughing nervously, before returning to the shore. The others followed, after havin retrieved their respective classmates from the murky waters. "That's it! I hate merpeople! " a panting Barty declared. "Merci,Barty! He was so courageaux! " a drenched Minnie praised, kissing a blushing Barty's neck, as she wrapped her arms around im. "He fought against those mean Grindylows to save me! " she praised further. "Well, I acted fast an' used the Revulsion Jinx against those nasty lil buggers! " Barty boasted. "I think he might've a good chance of winning,no?" an impressed Minnie declared. What she (or neither o' us) didn't anticipate was the toll that the Third Task would take on him.