Chapter 32. ( Caroline )

Start from the beginning

Bella could have gone to any year she wanted, but as Edward expected she chose to start in the year she belonged. Bella, Edward and Alice enlisted as freshmen and Jasper, Rosalie and Emmett as sophomores. Edward parked in a free space with another free space next to it for Rosalie's car and they stepped out at the same time.

All the heads of the students in the parking lot turned to them at the same time. It was as if he could feel the blast that came from their stares upon his face. Their thoughts flew through his mind.

So the rumours were true...

Wow, look at them!

What the hell! They are all beautiful, but the girl is simply stunning!

'I want to know everything about them. They look great and it is said they are very wealthy.' A girl told her friend.

Maybe they will sit with us at lunch?

Check that out, give me a piece of that!

He tuned them out disgusted and turned towards Bella. Her face held no emotion. He wondered if she was also so calm on the inside. They walked towards the administration office to get their schedules. Edward had picked exactly the same classes as Bella and was grievously chagrined when he saw he shared only two classes with her.

Oh, brighten up Edward! You will have more classes together the second semester. Alice thought, interpreting his behaviour correctly.

Alice had a lot more of her classes with Bella, which was probably the cause of her good mood.

'We have first period History together, sweetie. Let's go.' She took Bella's arm and took Rosalie on her other arm. 'See you later, boys.'

'Let's go too.' Edward muttered, looking after Bella, Rose and Alice.

The day went on slowly and agonizing. Edward needed all his strength to keep out the intruding and petty thoughts of all the students around them. At lunch they got many table invitations, especially Bella, but they declined them all. They took a table for themselves and talked only amongst each other, to the great dismay of many curious classmates. After lunch Edward was so exhausted of keeping them out of his mind, he let go of his defences for a moment. Lucky he did, because the first voice that screamed in his mind was Alice.

Edward! Edward!

He immediately paid attention, fearing something was wrong with Bella. He saw himself tensed and concentrated fully in his seat, through Alice her capable mind.

Yes! Finally! You are paying attention.

Alice turned her face to Bella next to her and Edward saw her white and exhausted face. She was fighting against sleep, Edward could see it clearly.

No, not again! He thought desperately.

I need you to get Bella out of here as fast as possible. I will call her in sick and warn Carlisle. We have to be careful. This isn't really inconspicuous behaviour on our first day of school.

He almost stood up from his chair immediately, when Alice screamed to him again.

No Edward, stay in your seat! I will keep her awake until the bell rings!

It took a lot of his self-control, but he managed to stay in his seat until the bell rang, keeping his complete mind focused on Alice and Bella. He was up and gone in a blink, before his classmates noticed the sound of the bell. He almost ran too fast to Alice's classroom, but he couldn't care too much. He had Bella in his arms before the first students filled the hallways. She was almost out of it and Edward gave Alice a worried glance.