Chapter 31. ( Unanswered questions )

Start from the beginning

Sam noticed Bella's lack of positive response and changed strategies.

'I play soccer and my coach thinks I can play for a major league team next year.'

He gave her a proud look. Bella avoided his eyes.

'Will you come and watch my match this Saturday? I will score for you.'

Edward had to remind himself Sam was just a boy, because he was thinking of giving the boy a good backslap to make sure he left Bella alone. He stepped out of his car and walked towards them. Sam noticed him.

'Your bodyguard is here.' Sam said annoyed.

Do they ever leave her alone? They are more like her prison guards.

Edward almost growled at the insult. The ignorant boy had no idea how deep their connections were. Bella noticed Edward and doubled her pace. Edward smiled at her impatience to reach him. Sam didn't get the obvious hint of his unwelcome presence and followed her with the same pace. Edward reached her and to his joy Bella hugged him closely in greeting. Sam stared at the hug irritated, but not discouraged.

She hasn't answered my invite to the game. Maybe I should ask again.

Edward wondered if he should take Rosalie with him tomorrow. She was overprotective when it came to Bella and boys and she wasn't going to like this boy. He was sure she could intimidate him in leaving Bella alone. If looks could kill, Rosalie would have killed many of the male species.

Bella quickly got in the car.

'I will see you tomorrow, Sam.'

Edward could understand the draw Bella had on boys. She was kind, very smart and of course unbelievably beautiful, even humans could see that. Her body was starting to develop into womanhood and the promised beauty began to show in her figure. The distance she so carefully kept between her and her classmates was only a minor discouragement to the boys. Bella was worth fighting for. He drove away quickly.

With the puberty also came the questions and searches for her roots. Her insecurities played on her face. Edward tried to talk to her about them.

'What is on your mind, Bella?' He asked, always wondering.

She shrugged.

'The same thing as always. Who am I? Why am I here? Where do I come from? My knowledge of human psychology is large enough to know that every adopted child struggles with these questions. For me it is just a little bit more complicated.'

He had some ideas about the reasons for the complication, but he wanted to hear her say it. He held out his hand for her, leaving one hand on the wheel and she took it.

'How is it more complicated?'

'I am not questioning our family, Edward. I know you all love me and I know that love is real. It is the only thing that counts, blood is nothing.'

He chuckled. It was funny to hear a girl living with vampires say that blood was nothing. She ignored his mirth.

'It is all in the connections you form.'

She was silent for a moment.

'It is difficult to not understand who you are or should I say what I am?'

'I know exactly who you are, Bella.' He emphasized the word who.

She looked up towards him, knowing what he was going to say.

'You know that is not what I meant.'

He sighed, he did know and he didn't have the answers.

'The answer will come to you and I am sure it will be something amazing. You have nothing to fear.'