The Letters

Raiden is making me go over to Blackrock. He says Zoey will be scared out of her mind, and Kira should know that I'm ok. She is a pretty nice girl, after all. "Fine, let's get it over with" I sigh, standing up from breakfast and walking to the door. Raiden still sat there. He raises his hand in some sort of wave when he saw me staring at him. "Aren't you coming?" I ask. 

"Let's just say Rythian and my father have some... issues. I don't think it would be a good idea." My heart dropped. I don't want to make the trek alone. And I don't even have a jetpack! We haven't been apart for 2 weeks, and I haven't been in combat since Sips Co.

But as soon as I step out the door, I see letters at my feet. One of them is a bit wet, maybe because the snow finally melted last night. The other seems fresh. I pick them up and run back inside, grateful for the excuse. "Raiden!! Mail!!" I shout, jogging into the dining room, where Raiden is still sat at the table. 

"What? Oh, no." He says, worried. I have no idea why, but I don't question him. I decide to open the wet one first, it was sent who knows how long ago. It was from Kira. 

Mabel,

I just got some warning from one of my father's messangers. I'm so so sorry, but I think you might be entering the Survival Games soon. In 2 weeks, to be exact. I don't know who your partner will be, but you will get a letter from him soon. Be prepared,

Kira

"Raiden, what are the Survival Games?" I ask. And he explains everything. About how Ridge pulls everyone into these Games to kill each other, and only one team can win. He tells me how his father comes home with scars, and he has nightmares about it all the time. Ridge does this whenever he is bored. And he also tells me that you qualify when you and your partner are both 14. I turned 14 just a couple months ago. I'm so scared, I just start crying. No way of controling it. Raiden pulls me into his embrace, and I put my face on his shoulder. I feel like I've done this so much before, it's a regular routine for us. And it's only been 2 weeks. "Well, I guess we have to open the other one now" I said after I calm down. He nods and lets me go. With shaky hands, I pull off the wax and dump out a piece of parchment. 

Dearest Raiden,

You have been invited to my lovely Survival Games! Where the Yogscast friends and family will fight to the death and only one team can win. I have noticed that your childhood friend Mabel has turned 14 recently, so you two will be partnered up. Seeing as it is your first Games, I will make sure that people know you are... underaged and they may take it easy on you. I would like to add, you may not decline this offer. May the odds be ever in your favour, 

Ridgedog

And I cried some more. I pretended not to notice when I felt a couple of Raiden's own tears fall ontop of my neck. This went on for a while, when I started feeling dizzy. I stumbled out of his grip and fell to the floor. The last thing I saw was Raiden on his knees before everything went black.