F I V E

nova's pov
"no tell me why you're laughing." i insist.

"i just think it's cute when you're mad." he shrugs.

he pulls his bottom lip in between his teeth as a slight smirk plasters on his face.

i feel the heat rush to my cheeks, but immediately shake my head and scowl. he can't be saying this stuff to me. especially not now. this is the first time we're talking after almost 2 years. more importantly, he shouldn't be making me blush.

"shut up." i murmur. i don't know if i wanted him to hear that or not. 

"you know you could do better, right?"

"what is that supposed to mean?" my eyebrows pinch together for the 1,000th time today.

"meaning, you could have someone much better than that douche." he leans back in the seat, as if he's satisfied with his words.

"like who? you?" i scoff and roll my eyes, practically to the back of my head.  does he even know what's coming out of his mouth?

"i mean, if that's what you think."

"get over yourself." i hiss.

he holds both hands up like he's defending himself. "your words, not mine."

i inwardly groan at his cockiness. why does he even care that i could do better? or anything about my dating life for that matter.

he broke up with me, he left me. why is he so concerned with my love life?

"and for your information, brandon is amazing. he cares for-"

"is that why he's not here right now?" he sarcastically interrupts.

"why does it matter to you anyway?!" i snap.

this really isn't the time and place to be shouting and getting angry, but i just can't help if he's going to be an asshole.

he seems taken aback by my sudden change in voice and attitude.

"i don't know what you're trying to say-" my mind ponders off, thinking of my next words, "just shut up!"

"why are you getting so mad?" he remains calm.

"because your being an asshole, jack! what are you trying to get at?"

"how am i being an asshole?" he points at his own chest.

"because your making all these comments about my relationship-"

"i'm just saying the truth!"

"i don't care what you think is the truth! you're irrelevant now."

his face softens as my voice lowers. he's probably feeling guilty now. i don't know what he's trying to do. is he trying to get into my head? is he really that bothered? he shouldn't be getting pestered by my relationship. he should've known this would happen.

"whatever," he sighs and slouches into the soft cushion of the couch.

"what? so now you don't care?"