41: A TWIN DILEMMA (JASON)

PHOTOS above and below - Cabel

A Startling surprise awaits Jason in the city ...

I was talking to Ginny on the phone while Johnny was driving on the Columbus beltway. It was a huge freeway that wrapped all the way around the city and fed off of various interstate highways that connected to it from every direction. Located almost in the exact middle of the state, Ohio's biggest city was indeed at the very heart of America.

"I thought Cleveland's bigger," Ernie said from the back seat.

He and Shondo and Johnny had been discussing it as we all gaped ahead at the skyline of huge skyscrapers. It looked more like Houston or Dallas than a city in Ohio.

"The Cleveland metro area is bigger," Shondo explained. "Metro Columbus is smaller but the city itself has a population larger than Cleveland's."

Johnny was struggling to look at the skyline and still stay in his lane. "I used to live here but I only have vague memories of it. And, of course, I've been up here to watch the Buckeyes play."

That was the Ohio State football team, that perennial championship college team it was now looking like I'd never play on. I heard myself groan as I looked away from the skyline. It was so fucking hard to chew up your life-long dreams and spit them out.

"Are you all right?" Ginny asked me.

"Yah, I'm okay. Johnny just mentioned the Buckeyes and it sure looks like I'm not ever gonna be one of them. You should see the freakin' traffic here. We're not used to traffic in Kenton." I snorted. "We don't have any."

She had told me what happened. Mark obviously had known about her hidden lock box. He'd smashed it open, took her money, some jewelry, and the flash drive, and put the box back under the floorboard. She discovered it this afternoon when she went to get some cash. And she'd been going crazy apologizing about it now.

I'd told the guys about it and we'd all had a big laugh. No biggie if the vid was online. Johnny and I were out. Kenton High might not like it if they found out, but we weren't the ones who put it online. Maybe the notoriety it might cause could do us some good. At this point I just didn't see how it could do any more harm than had already been done.

"Ginny, just don't worry about it," I told her. "Go on your date tonight with Trenton and have a good time. He spent Wednesday night with me and Johnny and he's so awesome your focus should be on him and nothing else."

"Ohmygod. The three of you together all night long?  I'm already dead just thinking about it."

I laughed. "It was definitely a killer. You think you like him now? Just wait. And remember, he's shy with girls. You gotta take control. Make him your own personal love slave. Forget about Mark and the video and everything else."