Chapter 6 - A Date?

A/N - get well soon Derek Buell! 💕

Jamie's POV

My favourite thing about this job (apart from travelling the world and getting paid for it) is meeting so many people that share the same love for music. I love seeing people meeting new or old friends here. It may sound soppy but it's true.

As soon as the doors opened the whole room was filled with laughter, shouts, and excited chatter. It was really nice to hear.

Hayley didn't expect the rush, she's never worked on the merch before, she's always been the photographer / driver, never behind the merch stall so she's a bit wary of the surge of people.

It's been about ten minutes since the doors have opened and Hayley seems to now get the hand of what she's doing and I've gotten back in the flow of things.

"Hey, can I help you?" I ask in my sweetest voice to a youngish girl that was standing in front of the booth next to, who I assume, is her dad.

"You're Jamie right?" She asks, her voice slightly tinged with an American accent which is weird to hear above the excited Japanese language that I've been hearing all day. I look over at Hayley who seems to be chatting up some guy with tattoos, too busy to notice the huge line still forming in front of the booth.

"Yep." I smile at the young girl. She covers her hands with her sleeves and nervously looks at her dad. He nods his head in encouragement.

"Do you mind if I take a photo with you?" She asks in a very timid voice.

Stunned I open my mouth making an 'o' shape. No one has ever asked that before. "Uhhhh, sure." I nervously laugh. The young girl turns around and looks at her dad who pulls out his phone to take the picture. I stand behind the girl awkwardly smiling at the dad's phone. I hear the successful click of the phone and I relax.

"Thank you, Jamie!" The little girl smiles.

"Would you like anything?" I ask, gesturing to the clothes behind me.

"Can we have a medium sized Neck Deep top please, the red one?" The dad asks for the young girl, before pulling some money out of his wallet.

"Hey, mate don't worry, it's on me. Here you go sweetie." I smile passing the top to the young girl. Her face breaks into a smile as she clutches the top.

"Thank you, Jamie."

"No problem kiddo. Now quickly get into the pit, you don't want to be at the back now, do you?" She nods her head vigorously, her black, short hair moving all over the place. She grabs her dads hand and pulls him through the crowd to the doors entering into the pit.

I look back at the crowd and give the next customer a smile. Ben was right, they do know who I am. I think to myself as I serve the next person, a youngish Japanese girl who spoke little English. Doesn't mean I'm singing with them tonight.

*

"Thanks guys, we've been Creeper and you've been a great audience!" I hear the last opening act announce from my place at the merch booth. "Put your hands together for State Champs who will be on next!"

A roar of clapping and cheers echo through the doors making me smile. I look at my phone and check the time. State Champs will be on in 30 minutes. I might catch some of their songs, they might be a decent band.

I yawn and look over at Hayley who was talking to State Champs Merch guy (can someone comment here his name? I'll probably end up making it up but I'll see if one of you guys can enlighten me, thank you!) they seem to be in deep conversation about something so I don't bother them.

"You know, i never thought he would get a girl to talk to him." A male voice says from behind me. I jump and look in the direction of the voice and see Derek. I relax and look back at Hayley and the other guy.

"Why not?"

Derek continues to approach me and leans his back on the end of the booth. "He's a very awkward guy, bless him."

"Probably got more game than you." I respond. Catty I know, but I had to. He glances back at me and smirks.

"Yup, probably."

"Aren't you meant to be on stage? In like 20 minutes?" I remind him.

"Yeah, but I've been sent on a mission."

"And that is?"

"To try and persuade you to sing with Ben tonight."

"Uhh, that boy is relentless!" I groan before taking a seat on the stool I was standing on earlier to put the prices up.

Derek smiles and turns to face me, still leaning on the booth. "Why won't you sing?"

"Because I don't."

"It's easy."

"For you maybe."

"For anyone. All you do is open your mouth and move your voice up and down-"

I lift my hand up to interrupt him. "Do you want a slap?"

"They said you're a good singer, though."

"Karaoke."

"I'm a killer at karaoke."

"Wow, that bad?"

Derek laughs and shakes his head. "We should do it sometime."

"Like a competition?"

"I was thinking more of a date."

My body stiffens at what Derek just said. My heart seems to skip a beat and my palms start to sweat. I try not to show it because I don't feel that way about him. I'm not letting him get the wrong idea. "Let's keep it at a competition, Romeo. I still don't like you yet." I'm not exactly lying.

Derek doesn't remove his gaze from my face and he lets out a chuckle. "Worth a try."

"You're going to be late." I say again gesturing to the doors to the pit. He continues to keep eye contact with me before he nods his head.

"I better get going. I'll see you later." Derek pushes himself off the booth and starts to walk up the corridor that leads to backstage. He spins to walk backwards and sends a smile my way. "Do you sleep on the left or the right side of the bed." He shouts.

I roll my eyes and cross my arms. "In the middle, with you on the floor."

"We'll see."

*

A/N - heyyyyyy, another update coming at ya!

It's so overwhelming the amount of loving you guys are showing this fanfic. You are the bomb diggity ( do people still say that? ) well I hope you like this chapter!

And to expand on what I said at the beginning of this chappie, I feel so bad for Derek! I hope he gets better soon, gosh i feel for him. Sending my love and good vibes his way.

Until next time

Peace ✌🏻️ ~ Kayleigh x