Chapter 25. ( Unexpected danger )

Start from the beginning

'If we can't hide Bella, then what should we do?' Edward asked desperate.

Taking her away and hiding her was his first instinct and the fact that he couldn't, took him out of balance.

'Alice?' Carlisle asked for the third time.

Alice was bending down under the pressure, her breathing was uneven. Edward watched the future with her. He cringed away from the images he saw. They were devastating. He saw himself covered with newborns while Maria took Bella away. She was screaming his name, her face wet with tears.

'The most likely outcome right now is that we all die and Maria takes Bella.' Alice whispered in shock.

There was something else. A piece of the future came to Alice. She furrowed her eyebrows in concentration and looked again. Edward gasped with the terrible image he saw in her head.

It was Bella a few years older. She was standing in a field holding Maria's hand. They were standing still, staring into nothingness. Around them the ground was covered with bodies as far as the eye could see. They appeared to be all dead.

This vision was short and gone before Alice could study it further, but it was enough to see the consequences of failing now. If they lose Bella, they lose the war. Alice looked at Bella with pained eyes. He understood what she was thinking. How could an innocent sweet girl like Bella, have such an impact on the world?

'No! We can't let this happen!' Edward called. 'We need help!'

'The wolves?' Jasper asked.

Alice checked and shook her head.

'They won't be here in time, but the Denali's will.' Alice saw a little bit of hope. 'If you ask them Carlisle, they will come to defend Bella.'

'I will call them immediately.' Carlisle said and left for his office.

Edward watched the future again with Alice. Even with the Denali's, impending doom was one of the more probable outcomes. Each time he saw Bella being dragged away from him or getting hurt in the crossfire he felt a pain larger than anything he ever felt. He watched Bella. He needed to protect her by any means necessary.

Edward! What did you just decide? Our chances at winning the fight are suddenly better.

What did he decide? Nothing he didn't know before. He always knew he would protect Bella with his life. Did he subconsciously think of a plan? No, this wasn't about him. He saw it in the future now. It was about Jasper.

'Maria has made one mistake.' He said and his eyes settled on Jasper. 'When it comes to fighting newborns we have the best with us. Maria trained you yourself.'

Jasper was already concentrating on several strategies and it was what was changing the future. Edward's eyes were suddenly drawn back towards Bella when he saw her move just a little bit. He studied her face. Her eyes had a determined look. Alice watched the future change for the umpteenth time.

It was Bella again, but this time she snuck away from them before the fighting began. She walked towards Maria. Her lips moved and Edward listened to her words in the vision.

'If you promise to leave them alone and not hurt them. I will follow you.'

Maria smiled and promised. Bella took her hand willingly. He saw them walk away.

Edward immediately sat next to Bella and grabbed her shoulders, forcing her to look at him.

'You can't do that Bella.' He urged.

'I won't let you get hurt because of me. I will try to escape Maria later.'

'Bella, listen to me. You have to promise me, promise me you will not leave us.' His voice trembled with the fear of losing her.