The End: Found

The distant sound of machinery chugged as Archie and Kennith sat at a public chat terminal in Ickwall. Decrepit computers lined the shop's walls where Ickwall's citizens used video chat for a fee. Burnt coffee lingered in the air and the hourly news droned behind the shop keep.

"How did you get Purple's ID?" Archie asked Kennith.

Kennith typed a sequence of numbers and waited for Purple to answer, "When I was Lucille's assistant I had access to more information than you can fathom." A small smirk flashed across his lips.

The terminal chirped and Purple appeared on-screen, "Archie... Kennith?"

"I hope you are well," Archie grinned in response.

The Ship Master nooded, "Yes, what can I help you with?"

Kennith spoke up, "We need a ship. Or a way into Vitruvius." Archie kicked him under the table and Kennith's eyebrows flew up.

Archie took over, "We want to make sure Violet is safe. Perhaps a visit would help her. We were wondering if you would loan us a ship so we might land in peace."

Purple lowered his large head and rubbed his temples before answering, "I cannot help you in that way. Long ago, a promise was made that cannot be broken."

"Are you sure you can't do anything?" Kennith leaned toward the screen with a pleading expression.

"Quite. I assure you Violet is safe, though. How is Zia? And the girl, Frida?"

Archie said, "They are no longer in our care. We think Zia took Frida from Lucille's residence and they are now fleeing the Moon Colony. So take that as you will."

"At least they are together. I'm sorry I can't be a bigger help." Purple's tone was final.

Archie and Kennith sighed and said goodbye, dejected at their failure to secure a ship.

So, what now? Zia, Frida, and Violet are out of reach. What can I do?  Archie scratched his beard.

Behind them, the shop keep hollered, "Hush, tha Pres is on! Let's see what she has to say this week..." She mumbled the rest as she increased the volume of the broadcast.

Madame Lucille's voice filled the room, " Today will mark the start of a better Moon Colony..."

--

 Lucille's hands shook as she stared at the notes in her hand. She swallowed and flicked her hair behind her shoulder, then plastered on her best smile as she addressed her colony, "Today will mark the start of a better Moon Colony. In my three decades long Presidency I have implemented many changes. Many of them have improved and strengthened the lives of our communities. But today I'll be adding new... radical changes to the way action is taken in our wonderful colony. Henceforth admission to any of the Farm Project sites will be voluntary, only. Any person, not just children, can make a life for themselves below. There will be kiosks in each market where citizens interested in this option can sign up or receive information on volunteering for Farm Service."

She gathered herself, then continued, "I am thrilled to tell you all about this next change. Over the next few months, Ickwall will hold elections for public office. The person who receives the most votes will become President of Ickwall. They will share leadership with me and together we will equally strive to make the Moon Colony truly shine. Thank you for your time and I ask that we all look upon these changes with excitement and enthusiasm. Good Night and take care."

A light above the miniature camera in Lucille's office blinked red, and the broadcast was over. She turned to her two new assistants, reluctant to meet their eyes, "I've given your speech. Will you go now?"