Think Fast

Staring at Kennith and the three dimensional holograms of Lucille and Frida, Archie Hubert stood calm and collected. He brought a fist to his mouth and cleared his throat. The corners of his lips twitched, attempting to hold back his trademark grin as he addressed them.

"Let me start by saying I am alone, unarmed, and willing to cooperate. Also, Violet is not on the ship and I came with my own agenda. How you handle this matter will be important, I promise you that. Oh, and hello Frida, the girls have missed you terribly." He waved towards the little girl. A hint of a smile passed Frida's lips.

Lucille's face flushed crimson with anger and she spoke through clenched teeth, "Then why don't you tell me where Violet is, Archie?"

He shook his head and sighed, "I wish I could, but I don't...exactly...know where she is."

"Damn you, now is not the time to play games. Do not make me search the ship, I can have authorities swarm that dock in thirty seconds." Even as a hologram, the woman struck fear in Archie's gut. She always had that talent, he thought.

"She was never on board, but feel free to search. I have come as a lowly messenger and I can tell you what I know if you agree to meet with me." He hoped she would take the bait. If he could just talk to her in person, the plan might work.

"Are you not speaking with me now? You idiot..." She bit her teal lips and closed her eyes for a moment before continuing, "Never mind, anything you have to tell me can be said in front of Kennith and Frida." She placed her hand on the girl's shoulder. Frida rocked back and forth on her heels.

He shook his head, "I think not, with all due respect. Why don't you take me into custody if it will put you more at ease? And talk to me when you're ready."

Lucille leaned down and whispered something into Frida's ear, then the girl disappeared from Archie's view. The woman took a tiny device out of her fitted maroon  jumpsuit, clicked away at it for a few moments and then put it away. "Fine. Kennith, switch me to your inner com. I'll tell you what to do." Lucille's image trickled down until it was gone.

Kennith stood listening to Lucille's voice in his ear, nodding, then grazed a finger across his wrist when he was done. He looked back to Archie. "Come with me," he said, "she asked me to tell you not to do anything stupid." As spoke the last word, whooshing filled the air. A transparent bell came into view, soft blue lights lining the circular base and large enough for  five adults to stand in comfortably.

The top lifted high enough for the men to step under. The held the metal bars stemming from the base for support. "These are new...last time I was in Genesis casual air travel was banned...something about pollution." Archie felt the vehicle hum as the top of the craft descended into place.

"They are...or were, Madame President Lucille had a magnetic track placed under the city, the routes run on that and altitude is reached through solar energy." Kennith replied with a tight lipped smile.

As they took flight, Archie noticed a dozen people in black and blue armored suites run toward the ship he had just left. He knew Zia was hiding inside, but he hoped his distraction would work before they found her. He took a pen shaped device out of his pocket and clicked it twice, thinking she had better move quickly. He had faith Zia was smart enough to make her own way.