Chapter 1: Over Pizza and Greasy Kisses

The smell of melting mozzarella over tomato sauce, ham, pepperoni gave me this warmth and sort of unexplainable happiness within me as the waiter laid the 12″ pan of pizza in front of us. We would usually hang out in this pizza parlor hidden a little behind the academy where very few students know of. And by we, I mean me and my secret boyfriend. And by secret, I don’t mean that he has an official girlfriend that he has to hide me from the whole academy. It was actually my choice. I’m not embarrassed about him being my boyfriend. I just wanted to keep him for myself for now.

“Why can’t you introduce me to your friends already?” Gab insisted on knowing the answer to his question which he has been bugging me with for almost two weeks now. We have been officially in a relationship for four months now and he thought it was just right for him to get to know my best friends.

I busied myself with getting a slice of pizza and the mozzarella oozed as I lifted the slice to my plate. As I succeeded in wrestling with the strings of mozzarella cheese to detach from the whole pizza, Gab grabbed my hand that was holding the slice of pizza and took one huge bite from it, leaving a mere one-fourth of the slice. I glare at him endearingly for a moment as he smiled at me with his cheeks bulging as he chewed, looking like a hungry little kid.

“Why do you have to get to know them? I’m the only person you should get to know for now. My friends would like you as long as I like you.” I answered him, still trying to convince him about not having to meet my friends. I took a bite of my own slice of pizza and dirtied my face with tomato sauce in the process.

I noticed how Gab’s awfully happy face turn into an awfully disappointed face. He took a tissue paper and wiped my face clean, still remaining quiet.

I tried to ignore him but I couldn’t help but look at him just to see if his expression has changed but it hasn’t.

Then, he finally said, “You know what? I’m starting to think you’re embarrassed about me being your boyfriend. Am I not good enough?”

“Not good enough? Obviously not! He was way too good for me! He was a year level ahead of me. He was a junior and I was a sophomore. And though he was not really one of the jocks or one of the popular kids, he sure was a heartthrob in his own charismatic and effortless ways. Am actually glad I could have him to myself.” I thought to myself.

“Navi, are you embarrassed of me?” Gab asked again.

“Of course not! It’s more likely that you would be embarrassed of me.”

“I can’t wait to tell people that you are my girlfriend. Why is it that you think I’m embarrassed of you? Besides, I’ve introduced you as my girlfriend to my best bud, Lance. You know I trust him like a brother, right?”

I sighed in surrender. “Foooiiiine! Meet me tomorrow at the study hall, last table on the left by the wall. I’ll introduce you to my friends.” I said giving in to his request.

“Great! Can’t wait!” he said with much enthusiasm that he leaned across the table and gave me a peck on the cheek with his greasy lips.

“Eeeww…” I said as I wiped the grease off my cheek and he laughed and gave me another peck on the other cheek and again on the other, having me wipe the greasy kiss endlessly. Still, I found him adorable that way. I just wish we’d stay that way even after he meets my best friends, especially Anja.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I was actually pretty nervous today because I have to finally introduce my boyfriend to my best friends. My clique isn’t exactly the popular clique nor is it the nerd one or the cheerleader clique. My clique is more of the mixed unique type of clique. There are five of us in the clique. 3 girls and 2 boys. Namely, Fefe, Anja, Robin, Wade, and me.

Fefe was the name we concocted for our friend from Felicia Fernandez. She was the most quiet one among us and the friendliest by far.

Wade was Anja’s ex-boyfriend but they decided to remain friends even after the break up when we were in freshman year but it’s undeniable that he still gets jealous every time a guy tries to court Anja.

Robin happens to be Wade’s best friend so he just tagged along with us, making our clique bigger. He was also the shy type and always keeps to himself but once he gets to his mischievous mode, there’s now stopping his pranks.

Anja (from Angeline Jasmine Carlos) is considered the pretty woman in the group. A lot of boys from different year levels in Luna East Academy has tried courting her. Maybe it was because of her angelic features and charming dimpled smiles that captivates the boys’ attention. I could not help but be insecure about being her best friend. Every time I am sitting beside her, I feel invisible because no one notices me.

Well, maybe not exactly no one. But most of the boys who take notice of me would just have a hidden agenda. They try to befriend me and makes it look like they were interested in me but in reality, they were really interested in me putting in a good word about them to Anja. And by they way, her name’s pronounced with the ‘j’ sounding as a ‘y’. Even her name’s too cool to be a ‘manang’ name. I actually consider both of us more of in the frenemies zone rather than besties. At least only I know of that.

Last in the group is me. My friends call me Navi but my full name is Nadine Victoria Evangelista. I am the most talkative among the group and a little too honest for my own good. I just don’t like to be fake or ‘plastic’ to people. I have the prerogative to speak my mind and I should utilize them though I never meant to hurt anyone’s feelings but sometimes I forget to be tactful. I am usually loud but I have my own moments of silence and solitude. I enjoy those moments in my special secret place somewhere in the campus.

Maybe I wasn’t really much of a great friend to begin with, but who can blame me? After all the disappointments and heartaches Anja has caused me, I didn’t really think I was ready for Gab to officially meet Anja and interact with her.

He might just be enchanted by Anja and dumps me for her, especially now that she’s single and available. That has been my biggest fear ever since I met Gab last summer during the summer photography workshop we took together.

I just wish that Gab is not like the others. If only I could cast a spell that could shield him from Anja’s charms…