Chapter 8

Hermoine cast a glance at the mark she'd been hiding with charms and long sleeves and gave a yell of frustration. She was glad that Ginny had put a silencing charm on the room when Hermoine was still on her sugar high. Hermoine was furious. Her best friend would never be that same again. Hermoine yelled again and threw her Ancient Runes textbook at the wall, then proceeded to kick the bedpost. She sunk to the floor and cried.

She lost her best friend, because of a decision she hadn't thought through well.

~~||~~||~~||~~

The next morning, Ginny had to give the door three big shoves to get in. When she finally got the door open, she gaped at the mess.

The mirror was shattered, the glass laying in pieces on the floor. The wood of the bedpost lay in splinters with the glass. Hermoine lay on the floor, dangerously close to the glass, asleep. Her sleeve was slightly pulled up and Ginny could see the Dark Mark peeking out.

She sighed and dropped the pillow and blanket she used on the bed and then stepped over the glass and splinters to Hermoine. She shook her shoulder gently.

"Hermoine," she called softly.

Hermoine stirred. "Ginny?" Hermoine looked around and took in the mess.

"I'm so sorry. I was just so frustrated and I don't even know how to control anything and I'm just so sorry for everything, Ginny. I'm sorry." Hermoine broke off, her eyes threatening to spill the tears.

Ginny didn't do anything. "I don't know if anything will ever be okay between us again, but I'm still your friend. I won't tell Harry or Ron, but I think it's only right that they should know. But it's your call, I won't let anything slip."

Hermoine sniffed. "Thank you. I'm so sorry for tearing the room apart and - and the whole Death Eater thing."

Ginny nodded and began putting everything the way it was. She put all Hermoine's things back in her trunk and fixed up the bedpost and mirror.

"Clean yourself up. Harry and Ron would suspect something if you go down there looking like that."

Hermoine nodded and headed for the bathroom. She came out in a jeans and t-shirt that Zabini bought. The top was short sleeved, so Hermoine cast the spell on her arm before she left.

Ginny was waiting for her outside. "How did you manage to keep it from us all?"

Hermoine picked out a cardigan and wrapped it around her shoulders incase the spell started to wear off. "I've been using a cloaking spell and I've always had something to cover it up in case the spell failed."

"Do the three Slytherins know?"

Hermoine sighed. "They're the reason I'm one of them."

Hermoine sat down on the bed and faced Ginny.

~~||~~||~~||~~||~~

Hermoine was in her sixth year at Hogwarts when it happened. She had been to Dumbledore about it once, and for the first time in his life, the old man did not know what to say.

Hermoine Granger, a muggleborn witch, was not just the brightest witch of her age, she was the most powerful, and no one knew why. Apart from Harry, she was the only other person who would be able to defeat Lord Voldemort. He knew this and he knew it would be best if the witch was on his side.