11

Holding her hand out, Annie trailed it over the long grass of the field. They were heading back towards his house in relative silence. She couldn't take it, she looked to him and he raised a curious eyebrow at her. "What can you do?" If anything, his eyebrow raised more from her simple question. "Like come on...you're an alien, you must be able to do something."

"High expectations much?" Clark exclaimed with a laugh, yet Annie crossed her arms and just gave him that: 'I'm waiting,' look. With a sigh, he looked up at the sky, the lazy white clouds just glided across a clear blue sky, every now and then a bird would sail past. "I can't get hurt."

"Like at all?" Annie asked incredulously. That seemed like a bit much surely? She couldn't imagine what it would be like to not get hurt. That didn't make someone unfeeling, and she knew Clark was definitely not that. But surely it was a bit odd?

"Yeah, as far as I know I've never been hurt." Clark looked to her as she seemed to struggle to grasp onto this. He couldn't help but shake his head sadly. She caught onto the alien thing, yet saying he couldn't get hurt seemed to blow her mind, and that was just the tip of the iceberg.

"Hm... I don't know..."

"What?" Clark looked at her curiously when she mused over this for a bit. He watched as she crossed her arms behind her back and kicked at the ground they were walking on. She mulled over her words for a bit longer before stopping and looking up at the sky.

She may not have ever wholly liked Smallville, but she did love the view she got of the sky. It was always so beautiful and mesmerising. The city had always blotted out the sky with blinding lights and high buildings. With a sigh, she looked to him, "Everyone has a weakness, Clark. Only because you've not been hurt yet, doesn't mean that one day you won't be." Annie frowned slowly and looked at him sadly. "How immortal you must feel..." She tilted her head to the side and hummed gently while picking up walking again. "Go on then, what else?" She asked turning her tone into a light one. It had slowly started to sink in, that though Clark looked human, acted human, he was essentially not human.

This one thing set him apart from the human race, but he had just become something entirely different; something akin to immortal. If there was nothing on Earth which could ever harm him, then surely, he had a high chance of outliving a lot of people? That wasn't to say he had eternal life. But then again, how was Annie to know he hadn't? She shook her head, it must be hard to know that you are so different, yet also similar to those around you. Clark was raised by humans, to be human, but how could he ever truly know what it meant to be human if the one fear of mortality wasn't forever hanging over his head? Annie slapped a hand to her head, she was getting way too deep with this.

"I'm strong, like...superhuman strong." Clark said slowly, not really wishing to trouble her more. He didn't want to bombard her, but she did ask. He could see she was really trying to piece it all together. Like the gravity of this all was finally sinking in.

"The bus!" She shouted and turned to point at him, she walked backwards and frowned. "I knew it!"

Clark slowly laughed and nodded. "Yeah...you were right about the bus."

"I honestly did think I was crazy, or hallucinating," Annie confessed while crossing her arms.

"You are crazy, what are you on about?" Clark asked and got a playful shove to the shoulder for it.

"Somehow I get the feeling that isn't all." Annie looked him up and down, she could tell with the expression on his face there was more.

"I can hear things which are miles away. I'm fast, really fast, and... there's no particular easy way to say this, but I can see inside your body." Clark said slightly embarrassed as Annie looked at him with wide eyes. "Your organs! No... not like, well...not like that, though, I mean...nothing like that...I can see your internal structure, bones, blood, organs..." Clark rambled out embarrassed, trying to keep the explanation on innocent tracks, only of course, it sort of didn't sound like that.