Chapter 20: The Art of Shattering

Start from the beginning

"Charity case?" Lucy knew she should have been offended, but for some reason she realized she wasn't, because it was rather true. "I suppose that makes sense. I did come with Ross on a whim, after all. Of course, it was certainly not because he found me a prospect."

"Then why did you come with him?"

Lucy knew that question would come from others, and she thought herself better equipped to handle answering them until now. When those words came from Leila's mouth, Lucy found herself struck dumb. The carriage rocked to a start, and she still sat there, blankly staring at this mindful young woman, who could likely draw Lucy's deepest, darkest secrets out of her with one piercing look with those twin pools of deep brown.

What was she to say?

"Well?"

Lucy licked her lips, and then cleared her throat. "London was stuffy, insufferably so. Hertfordshire... Boring."

Leila seemed to appreciate that answer. "Well then there is nothing to worry about, if your reasons were so innocent. After all, if it were any other way, Mrs. Ruth would have never accepted you as a candidate for Ross's wife. Not after..." She paused, "Oh, perhaps I should not say."

Lucy knew she shouldn't ask, there was no logical sense in prying, but something told her she had to know what it was that Leila was making a reference to, especially in regards to Ross. "What is it?"

Leila frowned. "I really shouldn't say, but I am sure you will find out soon enough."

"If I am not a prospect for his wife, then there should be no harm in you telling me," Lucy reminded her. "Come now, why hear it from fleeting talk when I can hear it from you?"

Leila chuckled. "I like the way you think, Ms. Quincy."

"Please," Lucy smiled, "call me 'Lucy'. And tell me what you know about Ross's past. I find it rather invigorating to see him through the eyes of others rather than my own, especially others that know him so well, where I do not know him at all."

Leila nodded, then shrugged. "Oh, why not? I'll tell you. It was the talk of the town when it happened, most unfortunate."

Lucy wasn't sure if it was her right to hear this from anyone other than Ross, but even that couldn't stop her from leaning in to listen to Leila's words.

"This all has to do with why Mrs. Ruth does not trust any woman who comes into Ross's life," Leila said. "About four years ago, Ross came home for a time. He met and fell in love with a young woman named Charlotte Morgan. Word was that they were inseparable, even though his mother did not agree with the match up. She finally relented because she saw how much Ross loved Charlotte, we all saw it," then she sighed and lowered her eyes. "I do not know all the details, mind, so I will not relay this part of the tale to you minus the appropriate facts. All I know is that something happened that caused her to leave, and it left Ross broken hearted. He eventually left again himself, and did not return until just the other day, with you."

Lucy gulped, only then feeling how dry her throat was. "Dear God, I had no idea..."

"Well of course you didn't!" Leila scoffed. "How were you to know? It's not likely he would have told you."

"I didn't ask," Lucy whispered, suddenly feeling regret bear down on her like a stone. "And I asked him to bring me here, as if it was such an easy thing for him to do. As if bringing a strange woman home would not inflame those same memories... God," she placed a hand over her mouth, "I am a horrible person!"

Those words were not meant for Leila to hear, and Lucy immediately stopped talking as soon as she realized that she had said too much. Still, as the carriage moved and thrashed lightly along the rocky road, Lucy felt the young woman place a gentle hand on her knee. When Lucy looked up, she saw Leila smiling at her with a genuine understanding that she had not seen in a long time. The last woman to give her such a look of utter warmth and encouragement was gone, living somewhere far away.