[Chapter 35] You're Invited

Start from the beginning

I walked away toward the elevator. Ash was running around somewhere, but when the ding sounded and the doors slid open, he rushed right past me and started pressing buttons.

As I got in the elevator and prepared for the long trip we were going to have (Ash pressed all the buttons he could reach), I pulled out an envelope that looked different from the rest. It was mailed to me, and the sender was...Kalel Cullen. I stared at the envelope in disbelief. I blinked to make sure I wasn't going crazy, but of course, the return address was printed and ink and wasn't going to change.

We finally got to the fifth floor (which was where our new home was) and Ash ran towards our apartment. I caught up to him and unlocked the door. He burst into the house and immediately went over to his toys. I laid my bags down and sat at the counter. I was unsure if I wanted to open this letter or not.

I decided to go for it. I slipped my finger underneath the lip and ran my finger along it until the envelope opened. I pulled out the small piece of folded card stock and opened it up.

"You, Genevieve Foster, are invited to the marriage of Anthony Padilla and Kalel Cullen. The wedding will be on June 12. Please RSVP only if you are not coming. Thanks! See you there! P.S. Children are not allowed."

I threw the paper down on the counter and put my head in my hands. I was upset and starting to sob - but I shouldn't be, I'm the one told him to do that, Right? So why am I upset and crying my eyes out?

My cell phone began to rang. I looked up slightly and saw that it was Tiffany. I picked up my phone, wiped my eyes dry, and answered the call. "Yes?"

"O.M.G. Did you just get the same thing I got in the mail?"

"If you're talking about Anthony and Kalel's wedding invitation, then yes." I replied dismally.

"I can't believe it!" She shouted through the speaker. "How could he marry her? Even after what she did! And what you've guys been through!"

"Because they're truly in love, Tiff. That's why."

"No, he's in love with you. I know it."

"I'm not going."

"Yes you are. Because once he sees your face, at his wedding, he's going to think about all of the things he's going to give up by marrying her."

"And what things are those?" I questioned. "That he doesn't have to take care of a wild and rambunctious toddler? That he doesn't have to come home to a small-ass apartment every night?" I retorted angrily.

There was a pause before she answered, "He'd be giving up the chance to be with the person he truly loves. And that's you, Genny."

I scoffed in disbelief. "Yeah right, Tiff. I pushed him away. He told me he was done trying to make things work between us."

"Three times the charm. That's what the old saying is, right? You've already 'broken up' twice, so why not get back together again?"

"Because..."

"No. You're going to that wedding, Genny." She ordered. "And I'm coming with you."

"But it says no children allowed, what am I going to do with Ash?" I looked over at him and saw he was watching me cautiously.

"You bring him. He's his son. He can't not allow his own son into the wedding."

I sighed, "Whatever, Tiff. If you go, I guess I'll go too."

"Great!" She exclaimed. "When can we go dress shopping?"

I hung up the phone and saw that Ash was now standing at the foot of my chair. "What do you want, Ash?" I asked politely.

"Who was that?" He inquired.

"That was Aunt Tiffany." I replied, stepping off of the chair and bending down so I was eye level with him. Just as I bent down, the invitation flew off of the counter and right in front of Ash. He picked it up and tried to read it.

I snatched it back playfully, "That's not something for you, mister."

"Why is Daddy wedding-ing another lady?" He asked all cute and stuff.

I sighed, "Daddy loves the other lady. Very much. And he's wedding-ing her because he loves her."

"But Daddy loves you." His little, innocent, brown eyes began to water. "Right?"

I wiped under his eyes and sighed. "Daddy's happy with another lady, Ash." I stood up. "And we're going to support Daddy in all he does. Okay?" He nodded his head. "Now let's get you a snack." I swooped him up and walked around the counter and opened the cupboards. "Now, what do you want to eat?"