Chapter 18

Danny's P.O.V.

It had turned dark by now and we were all sitting around the fire, eating some beans Williams, strangely enough, had cooked up. It was actually quite tasteful.

"So, what do we have planned for tomorrow?" I asked Theo with interest.

"We need to find the location of the treasure as soon as possible; we don't have much time left." He said, taking a mouthful of his beans.

I giggled when some of the sauce spilled onto his chin. He wiped the sauce away, cleared his throat and quickly turned towards Gibson who was sitting next to him and began discussing things with him.

I stared into the fire and let my thoughts take a journey once more, or at least for a short while.

"Wha' be a beauty like ye doin' on Cox's ship?"

I looked up and found Perez seated next to me, studying me carefully.

"I- what?"

"Wha' be a beauty like ye doin' on Cox's ship?" He repeated with a slight tinge of annoyance

"Oh uh... our parents... know, knew," oops. "Each other and my mother had been notified that... my grandmother had needed some assistance. My mother had immediately left and my father had went along for an extra hand. Subsequently I would have had been left home alone. They hadn't desired for me to be left all on my own and had decided to ask Theo if I couldn't stay with him for the time being." I stumbled out.

"Theo eh?" He asked with a cheeky grin on his face.

Of all the nonsense I had spewed out, 'Theo' had been the only thing he had gotten out of it.

"Theodore, I had said Theodore." I said unconvincingly.

"Oh aye, aye o' course." He was obviously just playing along.

I disregarded him further on and turned my attention towards Theo and Gibson. Apparently they had split the island into four sections and were going to divide the crew into four groups as well. Theo would be leading one of the groups while Gibson, Williams and Fisher would be leading the other three. I was obviously going to go with Theo's group.

Theo clearly has some overprotectiveness issues.

This was actually starting to feel like one of those typical treasure hunts I used to play as a child.

"Basically you want each group to search one of the parts of the island you had separated." I deadpanned after I had gotten tired of Gibson and Theo explaining it to me in unnecessary detail.

I may be clumsy but I'm definitely not brainless.

"Aye, aye, Lass." Gibson said while waving his hand dismissively at me and moved to go and sit next to Williams.

Williams gave him a brotherly hug and moved over to make some space for Gibson to sit. Gibson plopped down and sat with his arms resting on his knees. Gibson shoved Williams to the side when he had said something to him and Williams nearly fell off the log we had earlier put out for everyone to sit on. They both laughed at each other and were acting more relaxed than usual; in fact they usually were when they were together.

"Hey what's up with Gibson and Williams?" I asked after a few silent moments

"What's up?" Theo asked with a questioning eyebrow.

"Uhm okay let me put it like this: why are they always together?"

"They grew up together; Gibson and Williams's fathers owned a bar together and when they were old enough, they were sent off to the sea with my father. Their fathers thought it would be good for them." Theo explained with a shrug of his shoulders.