Chapter 3

Danny's P.O.V.

I began drifting awake to the soft sounds of the ocean waves and seagulls crying about. I could feel a soft breeze flowing over my face, fanning some of my hair off my face. The smell of seawater wafted through my nose as well as the smell of different types of woods.

I could feel a dull headache in the back of my head, throbbing at the same pace as my heartbeat. Groaning softly, I tried opening my eyes with great difficulty. At first everything was blurry, but then things came into focus and I realised I was staring up at a wooden ceiling.

Confusion washed over me when I realised my house didn't have any wooden ceilings and panic soon entered my system. I sat up from where I was lying only to realise that I was on a red couch.

Investigating the room further I noticed the walls were made of timber, with deep red drapes hanging from the windows and the walls were slightly crooked. There was a dresser to my left and a desk in front of me, filled with clutter and unusual trinkets. Close by to the desk there was a door. Gazing to the back of behind the couch, I saw an enormous bed with dark coloured bedding on top.

The door burst open and in walked a confident looking man with sharp, and striking features. He was wearing a white tunic, black trousers, dark leather boots and a black cloak. He had slight stubble with high cheekbones, brown hair and forest green eyes. The man was well built and was probably at the age of nineteen or older.

The stranger walked further into the room and stopped short when he noticed me staring at him.

"W-who are you?" I asked, my voice a bit scratchy and sore for some odd reason.

"I should be the one asking you, since you're on my ship," He stated with a deep voice and cold eyes glaring at me.

"Ship?" I asked in great confusion and as if it was some kind of trigger, everything came back to me; up until the moment my feet slipped off the mast and I had started falling to my death.

Gasping, I stood up in surprise, however my legs felt pathetically weak and I immediately fell onto the ground in front of the couch. The man had taken a cautious step forward to aid me but not quite sure how. He was looking at me with a watchful eye, as if I was going to attack him at a moment's notice or try to deceive him.

Staring at the wooden floor I tried wrapping my head around things and make sense of my situation. How can I possibly be alive? There was no way I could have survived that fall; my pursuers were too far from me to have been able to catch me. Another question was who was this man? Why was he wearing such odd clothing? Why was he so cautious around me? What had I done to land on a ship that, by the looks of the room, was brand new? And lastly were on earth was I?

Bringing me back to reality, the stranger asked in a hostile tone, "Who are you? What are you doing on my ship or better yet, how in barnacles name did you get on my ship?"

"My name is Danny and... wait, where am I?" I asked.

"Well Danny, you're on The Black Swan, now how did you get aboard my ship?" He replied, taking a menacing step closer and looking very agitated.

"Your ship?" I was starting to become even more disorientated.

"Answer me!" He yelled at me with a booming voice.

Scared I scooted backwards, my back hitting the couch.

"I d-don't know." I answered.

"Stop lying!" He yelled even louder than before.

"I don't know!" I yelled back trying to stand up, but my legs were still feeling useless.

He stared at me breathing heavily, his eyes burning with angry frustration. He moved forward, grabbed my arm, pulling me upright and dragging me to the door. The door banged loudly as it was shoved open. Bright sunlight greeted me, making my head throb in protest.