Chapter Twenty-Four: Song Spell

Start from the beginning

I bit my lip, recalling what I had really said to him that night among the blood and the snow. I had told him that the sprites were right about him: that he was a murderer just like them. And that he deserved to be one.

Beneath the Statue of Liberty, cries of outrage rose from the surrounding mermaids.

"How did she do it?" Gasped one. "No one has ever seen through the illusion!"

"She must have cheated!" Screeched another.

Through all of the accusations, The Protector remained silent as she sat on the throne of jewels. Her golden tail swished back and forth thoughtfully. Finally, when she opened her mouth to speak, the chatter extinguished immediately.

"It appears as if this faerie has proven her worth." She observed. "In the seventy years that I have been the scepter's Protector, I have never seen such cunning." The Protector gazed down at me, her eyes shimmering with newfound respect. "You have succeeded where all others have failed for thousands of years. And for that, I shall give you my sisters' Object of Power. I am confident that your intentions are pure."

Joy sang through my being, streaming into my blood. I had done it. I had passed the test. I could retrieve The Summer Scepter.

"Thank you, Protector." I responded breathlessly. My chest was heaving, my temporary gills opening and closing frantically.

The Protector swept her hand across the mass of mermaids, addressing them. "This is the moment we have awaited for centuries, my sisters. We have all done our sacred duty to guard our most precious possession, and now, as Protector, I am free from its hold." I could sense the relief chorusing through The Protector as she spoke. The Summer Scepter would no longer drain her magic and her life.

"Now, please leave me and the faerie," She ordered. "And tomorrow night, we shall celebrate!"

The mermaids cheered with admiration, their flawless voices singing with pleasure as they swam into the many tunnels of Liberty Island. Once the cavern was empty except for The Protector and I, I realized just how vast her home really was. The tunnels and caves were enormous, branching off in every direction. I felt the same sensation that I had while looking out Lorely's window at New York City. I was still just a small person in the large world, drifting among humans and mermaids and faeries. I swayed slightly as I floated there in front of The Protector's throne, overwhelmed with the universe around me. I straightened myself, pulling my wits together as I faced The Protector.

"It would be best if we hurry," I advised her. "The sprites may be close behind."

She nodded, her brown hair waving and lifting.

"I agree. Although the scepter can only be released by a child of Summer Court. In this case, your prince."

"Then take me to him," I told her. "And Diandre as well."

"Of course."

With a bow of her head, The Protector led me down a dark passage way. Her golden tail was muscular and powerful, propelling her forward gracefully as it lit up the black tunnel. I struggled to keep up, desperately paddling against the weight of my gossamer wings. After a few strenuous moments in which we weaved through a maze of rock, The Protector took a sharp left into a small cavern. My swimming wasn't as agile. I found myself swimming straight into one of the tunnel walls. My head banged against the stone, and I massaged my throbbing temples.

"Don't fall behind, faerie." The Protector called.

Cursing under my breath, I paddled after her.

Inside this small cavern, a glowing string of pearls strung from the ceiling illuminated a carpet of plush sea grass. Diandre lay among the twisted reeds, in a stupor as two gorgeous mermaids giggled and ran their fingers through his hair and along his face. An ugly feeling suddenly consumed me. I felt as if someone had spilled tar down my throat, and my entire mouth seemed to burn in a coiling flame. That was until my eyes wandered to the other side of the room.