Chapter Six: The Sprite Master

HHHHHIIIISSSSS!

Ice streamed out of his fingertips, blasting the entire ground. The grass froze over as layers and layers of ice coated it, sending some of the sprites slipping and toppling. The children were able to escape, racing off and screeching, and I waited until all of them had left the patch of ice.

"Dragons, I have a bad brain freeze," Glen remarked, rubbing his temples.

"Pick up Nicholas," I told him, ignoring his comment, and he threw the limp caster over his shoulder.

"Now what?"

I smiled. "Now I would start flying."

With a yell, I threw back my ice sword and slammed it down. It buried itself into the icy ground, and I watched as spider-web cracks appeared in the ice. They zig zagged across, and Glen's eyes widened in understanding. He threw open his wings and flew to the sky just as I yanked my blade free.

The ice dropped out from beneath the sprites, shattering. Gripping my sword, my wings propelled me into the air, and I watched as countless numbers of sprites fell along with the ice. They tumbled into a large hole that had formed, disappearing to their deaths.

Glen hovered in the air next to me, gaping. "I can't believe it."

I cocked my head to one side as my wings kept me suspended in the air. "Can't believe what?"

"We actually worked together," Glen grinned.

"Don't get sappy on me, flower boy," I responded, but it was hard not to surrender a small smile.

Glen eyed the wriggling sprites beneath us. "You're right, we still have work to do."

I glanced at Nicholas who was still thrown over Glen's shoulder. He was moaning faintly in pain.

"He's exhausted," I said, "We've got to get him back, and fast."

Glen's jaw was set in a firm line.

"I know, He's completely overworked himself. He doesn't have any strength left."

My eyes met his.

"Take him back to the Faerie Realm, I'll stay here and help the children," I told him, but

Glen shook his head. "And miss out on all the action? No way. Plus you need me, partner. There's too many of them for you to take on alone."

Below us was utter chaos. Sprites were injured from the fall and were howling in pain, and one was advancing towards a small boy clutching a teddy bear. He was backed up against one of the houses, and I swooped downwards, stabbing the sprite in the back. The boy gaped at me, his mouth hanging open as his captor collapsed to the ground.

"Are you OK?" I asked him.

The child nodded silently, his eyes still frozen on me. They traveled to my wings, and the boy gasped.

"Are you...tinker bell?"

Beside me, Glen was roaring with laughter.

"Shut up Glen," I snapped, before kneeling down to the boy's level.

"No, I'm not tinker bell," I told him, "But I am a faerie."

The boy's eyes bugged out of his head.

"I knew they were real!" he exclaimed, and I wondered if the poor kid was in shock.

He seemed oblivious of the fact that he had almost been kidnapped. And there was a dead creature bleeding out and freezing into a corpse next to him.