Chapter XX. Awkward Conversation and Impossible Love.

Start from the beginning

Ciel kept staring at me as if there was something really weird on my face and there was nothing to hear who could interrupt the silence created between us.

“My lady, is it alright for me to ask you a question?” he asked suddenly.

“Depends on the question.”I said.

He breathed in and looked at the ground for a while, after that his eyes found mine again.

“Have you fallen for someone before?” he asked.

My eyes widened and I just stared at him. Of every single question I expected, this wasn’t the one. And that was because there was something odd about this question. He knew that I hadn’t fallen in love with my fiancée and neither did I in any other boy. He knew that my heart was only filled with much hatred that kept me from loving someone so deeply, that I would be able to die for him or her. The only thing I had in my heart was the revenge for my parents who got killed because of something ridiculous. Something I had found out, today.

“What is this question? You know that my heart isn’t filled with stuff like that. I have never, ever, felt that way about another human before.”I said clearly.

“I never said it had to be a human though.”

On that very moment, Sebastian interrupted us. It was if he choose his time to come in, very carefully to interrupt us, or he was just stupid and walked in every single time without noticing the atmosphere coming from the room. But thinking about it, demons weren’t stupid and heard more than people did.

“Your tea, young lady.” he said.

“Yes, bring it to my study room. There is something I need to do upstairs.”

“As you wish.”

“I’ll help you climbing up the stairs. I know how clumsy you are.” grinned Ciel. I wasn’t able to smile back or say anything back at all. I was feeling uncomfortable after he asked me that question. It was like he wanted me to notice something, but I wasn’t able too. And the fact that he said “I never said that it had to be a human” made me feel all awkward. Did he really thought that I loved Sebastian? And asking me that question myself...did I?

When I walked into the study room, I immediately walked towards the huge window which showed me the garden and a little more of the world.

I heard Sebasian pouring the tea in a cup and leaving the room right after that. I wondered if Ciel was still in the room with me, but I got that answer very soon when suddenly he was standing next to me, looking out of the window together with me.

“It gives you some peace at mind, looking at the garden, looking outside, doesn’t it?”

“It does.” I answered him shortly.

He turned himself to me.

“Don’t be so cold towards me.” he said suddenly.

I looked to him, surprised. I was hostile towards everyone and I didn’t really understand why he thought it was especially against him.

“I am cold towards everyone.”

“Not towards Sebastian!”

My eyes widened, what was he talking about? Was this just a continuing of the question before? What was wrong with Ciel?

“How dare you to say things like that to me. Who do you think you are? Know your place!”

He put his hands on my shoulders and looked me in the eye.

“You tell me that right now because I am right! Tell me the truth, Katherine.”

It was the first time he called me liked that and it angered me, even though I didn’t know why. Was it because he was my butler?