Chapter 5

Author's Note (PLEASE READ): I meant to split this into two chapters...but, I decided against it. YA WELCOME. ;) Hah. Enjoy. PS, we're nearing the end. One more chapter awaits. (Although, there might be a sequel in the works, depending on the reactions I get after I wrap this up. I've already somewhat written it. More details in the next chapter!)

Nathan doesn't remember the last time they had so much uninterrupted togetherness. It reminds him so much of their visits as children.

“No, no, no. You're wearing it wrong. You need to tip it to the side.”

Kelsey can barely keep herself up from laughing as Nathan tries on a giant hat. Nathan just smiles, not caring at how big of a fool he must look at the moment.

“So, Nate. What did you think of when you were thinking about us...being together. Like—together, together. I just—I mean, what would be different, do you think?”

Of course Kelsey chooses this moment to ask questions. She always knows when Nathan's defenses are down. Nathan just shrugs and walks out of the store towards the water. He watches some of the kids run in and out of the waves. It's relaxing to watch the kids play—it reminds him of being young and without problems. Kelsey follows him and they both sit down on the sand.

“I thought about—everything. I mean, I don't know what to say, Kelsey. I just think it would be different.”

Kelsey's smile is comforting, so he continues. “I don't know. I guess it would be nice knowing that we belong to each other, in a way that's different than...now, you know? Being free to kiss you and love you and just...know.”

To his eternal gratitude, Kelsey falls silent. Oh, what Nathan wouldn't give to know what's going on behind those dark brown eyes. Suddenly, Kelsey jumps up and starts running towards the water.

“Last one in is a rotten egg.”

Nathan hits the water first, but he keeps going until he's waist deep in the blue waves. He's nearly knocked over as Kelsey jumps on him from behind, wrapping her legs around Nathan's waist and her arms around his neck. 

“I'm not re-enacting that fucking scene from the Notebook with you.” Nathan laughs.

“But...if you're a bird, then I'm a bird.” Kelsey's voice is soft in his ear. It has such a sincere note of honesty that it freezes Nathan's heart. So, he does the only thing he can, and dives under the water getting them both drenched.

* * * * * *

On Friday afternoon, they lounge in the bar watching the waves come in and munching on different appetizers. Kelsey has become addicted to the punch that they serve, so Nathan goes to the bar to get them another round. After a week, the bartender knows them by name. She has hazel eyes and chocolate skin and a big smile, and always winks at Nathan as she hands over drinks.

“So, how long are you and your friend staying?”

“Tomorrow's our last day. We leave Sunday morning.”

The woman smiles as she mixes the punch slowly. Nathan doesn't mind. It's good to get his flirt on. He sits on the bar stool and waits, making each other laugh with little innuendos and comments. It feels good, a little, to be the object of someone's desire, even if Nathan knows it doesn't mean anything.

When he sits back down at their table, Kelsey gives him an incredulous look.

“You were flirting with that bartender...?”

“Yeah.”

“Why?”

He's irritated all of a sudden—nearly as much as Kelsey seems to be. “What do you mean, why? Because I think that it might be a good idea for me to get back in the game. Maybe that's what I need. I mean, anything that happens here isn't going to result in a relationship of any sort, but it might be nice to try and at least have some fun with—hey! Where are you going?”