➳ 48: monsters ball

THE next morning, Jeremy sat in one of the armchairs in the living room with Carter while Damon stood in front of them.

"So, as we know, in a psychotic lapse of judgment, Bonnie brought you back to life and died in the process. May she rest in peace." The vampire snarkily expressed his condolences in a random direction, causing Carter to shoot him an unimpressed look.

"She's actually right over there." Jeremy corrected, pointing behind him.

Damon followed his gesture, staring at the empty spot for a brief second, then rolled his eyes and waved a hand in dismissal. "Whatever. Look. The whole point is, I just happen to know a supernatural being who just happens to want to die, and in the spirit of nature needing balance and life for a life and all that stuff, I just think it would be a huge waste of a perfectly good death." He explained while slowly pacing the floor.

"Damon---" Carter began to question him but was interrupted before she could get any further.

Jeremy shot him a look of confusion, not catching on right away. "What are you talking about?"

"Something Elena doesn't need to know about until it works." Damon replied sternly and shot him a hinting glare.

Jeremy paused for a moment before putting the pieces together. "Wait. You want to work with Silas?"

Carter sat back against the leather couch, sighed loudly, and folded her arms over her chest. "Yes." She breathed out unhappily.

Jeremy turned back to Damon with a bewildered expression, so the vampire held a finger up to both of them, signaling for them to give him a minute.

"From the beginning, Silas' whole bad-guy plan was to kill himself, pass on to wherever he was gonna pass on to, and reunite with his dead girlfriend, Amara. I want to use his death to bring Bonnie back to life." Damon spelled out for them with a scheming smile on his face. "To die, he has to be mortal. If he's mortal, then he's a witch, and if he dies as a witch, then he's stuck on the Other Side forever."

"He already tried to bring down the veil to the Other Side. He failed." Jeremy pointed our then turned his head to an empty spot, listening intently.

Damon noticed his focus was on the empty chair and pointed a finger in that direction with an annoyed look. "She knows I can't hear her, right?"

"She thinks Silas wants to destroy the Other Side completely." Jeremy translated for them and furrowed his eyebrows as he began to listen to the ghost again.

"He does." Carter agreed.

"Back to my original question." Damon leaned against the empty chair where Bonnie supposedly was. "Let's say Silas destroys the Other Side, cures himself, becomes a witch. Is it supernaturally possible that he can do a spell that swaps her life for his life once he-" He motioned across his throat for demonstration. "-kills himself?"

Jeremy turned to Bonnie again, and Carter and Damon watched him nod along to whatever she was telling him. The couple shared an annoyed look as they waited for the former hunter to fill them in.

Damon motioned with his finger for encouragement then slapped his hand down against his leg. "What'd she say? Tell me."

Jeremy paused for a moment. His lips parted while he sat there deep in thought. He then took a deep, quiet breath and raised his eyebrows at the impatient pair. "She's in!" He said with a fake smile plastered on his face.