➳ 17: the murder of one

THE next morning, Alaric woke up with a gasp. He realized he was in his bed at the Gilbert house and looked around in confusion, nearly jumping in surprise at Damon sitting in the armchair next to him. "What the hell are you doing here?" He questioned the vampire in a raspy voice.

"Just making sure the witch didn't turn you into a toad or a block of salt." Damon joked lightly with a small smirk. "Bonnie did a little spell. It's nothing to worry about. It's just something to keep the killer in you at bay."

Alaric attempted to sit up then groaned when pain shot through his shoulder. He placed a hand over it instinctively and pulled down the collar of his shirt to see nothing there. "Did something happen?"

"Carter got you good." Damon praised the huntress and grinned widely. "Let's just say you've got an alter ego hell-bent on killing Council members. So we're gonna pack up some of your stuff, we're gonna go to the loft, just for a little bit. You know it's like house arrest, light."

"Wait, where's Meredith?" Alaric suddenly recalled with concern.

"She's fine. Unharmed and fine." Damon assured him honestly. "Carter got her out of there before you could do hurt her."

"Where is Carter? Oh my God.... Did I---" Alaric started to panic at the idea of harming her and shot forward into a sitting position.

"She's okay." Damon replied sternly. "Banged up a bit, but nothing a little vampire blood can't fix. She's okay, Ric."

Giving Alaric a day to acclimate to his new herbs, Elena stopped by his apartment to deliver him breakfast. She knocked on his door and waited for a response

"Morning, sunshine." Damon greeted cheerfully after opening the door.

"Hey, how's Alaric?" Elena asked in concern and moved to enter the apartment but was blocked by Damon, who partially shut the door.

"Indecent, but fine." Damon answered vaguely.

"So then, does that mean there were no issues last night?" She inquired curiously.

"Nope. Slept like a baby, woke up Alaric. No head minds about dead Council members." He replied honestly.

"Then why do I feel like you're hiding something from me?" She asked in suspicion and attempted to see into the unit past him.

"Well, maybe because you're being all paranoid and control freaky." He insulted then noticed the paper bag and drink carrier in her hands. "What'd you bring me?" He didn't give her the chance to explain before he took it from her and peering inside. "Ooo, chocolate muffins. You know what they say; a way to a psycho killer's heart is through his stomach."

Elena grabbed the bag back from him. "They're not for you."

"Fine. Keep convincing yourself you're still mad at me. But sadly, Ric's gonna have to miss Elena time today. You know, lockdown and all." Damon informed her that she wasn't allowed in to see her guardian.

"Just take it and give it to him and tell him that I miss him, okay?" She ordered in frustration and handed Damon the bag of muffins.

"With pleasure." He acknowledged quickly.

"Please." She urged the importance.