➳ 38: american gothic

"IF they so much as even scratched the paint on my car…” Damon snarled in rage as he pulled two red gasoline containers out from Stefan’s trunk.

Stefan closed the trunk, and they walked toward the baby blue Camaro. “Well, just be grateful Sheriff Forbes was able to track down the car after you let them, ah, you know, steal it from you.” He rubbed in the older vampire’s face with an amused smile

"Remind me to send her some mini-muffins. Do we really need ten gallons of gas, or are you making me just lug this around as punishment?” Damon asked in annoyance, motioning to the containers in his hands.

“Well, they ditched your car after it ran out of fuel. You gotta fill it up. Got a hundred miles before we get to Willoughby.” Stefan explained, shoving his hands in his pockets as they reached the car.

"Yeah, well, I don't remember that name from the list of places I got from New York." Damon remarked, beyond irritated by the situation and Stefan's attitude

“Oh, the list? The list they stole from right under your nose after you let your guard down?” Stefan rhetorically questioned with a smirk and leaned against the car. “They’ll be there. Sheriff Forbes tracked down the car they stole after yours.”

Damon bent down by the trunk, pulling down the license plate and filling his tank with gasoline. “Screw the muffins. I’ll get her champagne-if Elena is wherever it may be.”

“Willoughby. Creamed corn capital of Pennsylvania.” Stefan informed him with smugly.

“They’ll be there. Let’s just hope we get to them before they get to the cure.” Stefan reminded them with a small sigh.

“Ooh, silver lining: if Rebekah takes the cure, then she’s mortal, and we can just kill her right then and there.” Damon commented hopefully and smirked sinisterly at the ideas forming in his head.

Stefan smiled sarcastically at him and tilted his head to the side. “Ooh, dark cloud: Elena stays a vampire forever.” He replied pointedly. “Look, why don’t you just table the revenge fantasies for now and just keep your eye on the prize. Find Katherine, get the cure, get out before you get your neck snapped again.”

Damon rolled his icy blue eyes and sneered out in aggravation. “Believe me, I learned my lesson. Elena without humanity is a stone-cold bitch, and I won’t trust her until we get the old Elena back.”

Stefan smirked over at him, enjoying being right. “Look at that. We’re finally on the same page about something.”

“Look at that.” Damon said sarcastically and threw a hand up.

Suddenly, a very familiar black SUV came into view and he narrowed his icy blue eyes. "Is that...?"

The vehicle pulled over onto the side of the road and parked in front of them. Then, the driver's side window rolled down, revealing Carter with a pair of sunglasses on her face. "Well, hello there." She greeted fondly at them. "Having trouble?"

Damon grinned, incredibly happy to see her, and she grinned back.

"How'd you know where we were?" Stefan asked, folding his arms over his chest.

She smirked over at him as she held her phone up. "This funny thing called a cellular device, aka a cell phone. Liz called and told me where you were. Knowing you two, I figured you'd need my help. Also, if you're trailing Katherine, I want in." Carter said the last sentence seriously with a stone cold facial expression.