Coming to Terms

Začať od začiatku

"Ow, that's harsh."

"Harsh yes, but the truth, is it not?" Hook smiled sadly.

"Yes. Sorry, but I don't feel that way about you."

Hook nodded his head and took a drink from his flask.

"No need. As I said, I mislead myself. Luckily for me, I have found someone who finds me appealing enough to give this ol' sea dog a chance." Hook laughed.

"Good for you. If my opinion means anything, I say you make a fine couple." Emma clasped her hand against Hook's shoulder.

"That we do. Thank you."

Hook turned to regard Emma. Although she held a smile on her face, it did not reach her eyes, which were filled with worry.

"Emma, I hope you will not hold my past actions against me and that we might still be friends."

"Sure Hook. I think we can do that, as long as you can refrain from coming onto me every two seconds. Tink is a good friend and I won't let anything come between that."

"Understood. So as a friend, let me do something for you."

"And what's that? Well besides getting me drunk." Emma laughed before taking another drink.

"Lend you my ear. Tell me what is troubling you."

Emma stared at Hook, his face serious.

"I'm not a person who's open with her feelings. I don't trust that easily."

"Well despite the contrary, I can be trusted to keep a secret. And it's a pirate's law, what is said between mates whilst sharing rum is held sacred." Hook joked trying to lighten the mood. He was glad to see Emma laugh.

"So you are here to hear my confession like some priest?" Emma cocked an eyebrow, smirking.

"Then this is no longer rum but sacramental wine if that will make it easier." Hook barked as he took a long swig.

Emma laughed so hard her belly hurt. But it felt good to release some of the tension that she had been holding. She looked once more over the dock, avoiding eye contact.

"You loved Milah very much, didn't you?"

Hook gasped at the mention of his lost love's name. It had been so long since he had heard it uttered.

"Yes, I did."

Emma turned to Hook and felt sympathy as pain flashed in his eyes.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked you that."

"No, it is fine. They say it cleanses the soul to speak of loved ones who are no longer with us. And yes, I loved her, with all my heart. I dare say there will be no one who will ever take her place"

"How did you know?"

"Know what?"

"That you loved her."

"Ah, well you see, Milah was a force of nature. Spoke her mind freely. She was rude and callous. Fought me at every turn, she did. Some would have called her a bitch and they would have been right." Hook said with a smile.

Emma looked at him in confusion. How could he say such things about the woman he loved?

"From the look on your face, you must think me mad."

"Yeah, I do. You just insulted her."

"But you have it all wrong Swan. Don't you see? Those were all the things that made me love her. Milah was a woman no one could tame. Not even me. Trust me, she reminded me of that every chance she got. But she still chose to stand by my side, love me. She made me want to be better." Hook blinked his eyes against the tears.