Building Foundations

Regina feels satisfied by how well the meeting had gone. After several concessions and renegotiations, the dwarves were satisfied enough to agree to halt any plans to strike and resume work in the mines immediately. Mary Margaret expressed how grateful she is for Regina's help by volunteering to take over the preparations for the Harvest Festival, which included several meetings with Mother Superior. Mary Margaret knew how Regina detested any interaction with the Blue Fairy and felt that this would be the best way to thank her former stepmother. The smile on Regina's face was sign enough that she appreciated her offering.

As Regina pulled up in front of Henry's school, she realized she regrettably forgot to tell Mary Margaret about Mr. Falleré. She quickly parked, pulled her cell phone from her purse and dialed Emma's number.

"If you were just about to remind me about the wine, don't bother. Have the bottle in my hand as we speak." Emma replied as she entered her bug.

"Well, hello to you too, Miss Swan. I do hope our son has not inherited your lack of manners." Regina huffed at the manner in which Emma answered her call. Was a polite greeting too much to ask?

"Aw, come off it, Regina. You raised him for the first ten years of his life. I'd say Henry has the etiquette-training equivalent to a prestigious prep school. That kid could dine with the President and probably teach him a thing or two." Emma laughed.

Regina smirked at Emma's reply. Henry was a well-mannered child. She was surprised to hear the off-handed compliment Emma had given.

"Well, thank goodness for small favors. Although I am glad you have picked up the wine, I am actually calling to ask you a favor."

"Ok, shoot."

"I need for you to go and speak with your parents. I was so involved with today's meeting that our little problem slipped my mind."

"Are you sure it slipped your mind? Or you just didn't want to be subjected to one of Mary Margaret's epic meltdowns?" Emma laughed despite herself. "And God help us if she starts her true love speech. She might try and force me to make out with Neal."

Regina chuckled at the thought of Mary Margaret pacing about her apartment, spouting declarations of good conquering evil, all the while playing matchmaker.

"Are you sure it will not be the pirate? He seems to have made an impression on your father."

"Ugh, don't get me started. I swear if I hear one more time how great it is that Hook is redeeming himself, I'm gonna pull out my gun and shoot."

"He does seem to sing Hook's praises very adamantly lately. If I didn't know better, I would say it was David with the crush."

"Ew, really? Like I needed that visual stuck in my head." Emma shook her head, trying to shake the thoughts.

"I am sorry, dear. I did not mean to upset your delicate sensibilities."

"Yeah, well, you did. And, besides, I've had it with all the happy endings nonsense to last me a lifetime. What's the big deal anyway? Can't we just get on with our lives without having to find our true loves?"

"Careful, Emma. You are beginning to sound a little less Charming. Some may start to think I am a bad influence." Regina smirked.

"Yeah, yeah... well, I couldn't care less what anybody thinks. And everyone seems to keep forgetting I'm not a Charming."

"Point taken. So, will you do what I asked?"

"Sure. On one condition."

"Are we making deals now, dear?"