[15] Won't like the Answer

Sorry it's late, took me a while to get it going but I finally finished it.

Here is your next chapter!

~Alice

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Colin thought he was going mad. He could have sworn he saw Cerise speaking to the merchant, and his directions towards the alley convinced him it was real, though the merchant most probably gave him false information. He rushed a hand through his hair, feeling his heart beating erratically in his chest at the thought of her again. Her porcelain skin, no longer, but now a beautiful exotic brown tan.

Her face had matured beautifully, into a full woman's instead of the 18 years she held before. Her face, as it molded into shock and fear when she looked at him, was seared into the back of his mind. What was she scared about? Me?

Colin shook his head, ridding himself of the horrid thoughts that would surely drive him mad with curiosity and disappointment. He sighed and turned out of the alley, back into the merchant's quarters and made his way to the Mug. Flynn would most likely know if Cerise was really back, and if not, Niklaus definitely would.

The loud clatters of mugs and laughter caught his attention as he moved towards the bar. The windows had grown a yellowish tint and the wood had grown slightly older and faded. The door now squeaked as Colin walked inside, his presence no longer a bother to the men inside since it had grown so familiar with his constant badgering about a woman no one remembered.

That is what bothered him so greatly, though. No one ever remembered seeing her, as if she was never there. It had made him think himself crazy once; imagining the perfect woman into his life since he usually never had time for women, even though lately he's had nothing but time.

But then he'd remember the way Niklaus had spoken about her, warned him to stay away from her and how Flynn, the barkeep everyone saw, also confirmed her existence. They brought him back from the insured insanity. But still, how these men could forget such a beautiful woman shocked him beyond belief.

"Colin! A whiskey, perhaps?" Flynn shouted as he grabbed a cup off the shelf. Colin nodded and sat down on the stool. "How you been? I haven't seen you in awhile." He said setting down the cup in front of him.

"Is Cerise back?" Flynn froze then released his shoulders and letting them drop in sudden relaxation and dissapointment.

"We've talked about this Colin. You can't keep chasing her. Her world is dangerous, even for a King's Guard."

"She's not even a Noble, yet she wears the most glorious of dresses. She attends parties held by the crown and speaks to them all with such familiarity, yet when asked none have heard of her for some time. Yet she finds herself here, in a lowly tavern surrounded by criminals and they treat her as her own, yet when they are asked, they've never even heard of her." He kept his eyes trained on Flynn as he spoke. "Her situation is very unusual and I'd like to know more about it, but I do mean when I say I mean her no harm." He chugged the rest of the whiskey. "What are you all hiding from me? What could a young girl like her be wrapped up in that is so absolutely dangerous?" He asked twirling the cup in his hand.

"Not my secret to tell, man. And don't ask anyone, people find out you're asking about her business they'll come after you." Flynn whispered in a hushed tone refilling Colin's cup.

Colin clicked his tongue and pushed back looking around and scanning the bar, secretly hoping to either find Cerise or Niklaus. Luckily, he found the latter with two whores sitting on his lap. He laughed and cheered and this time it actually reached his eyes. Colin remembered seeing Cerise and wondered if it was in fact real.

Niklaus' laugh quickly turned into a scowl as Colin approached him. He whispered into both the whores' ears and they quickly scampered off, leaving the men to their conversation.

"What do you want, Knight." The word rolled off his lips with such disdain and hatred anyone would have flinched, but Colin had grown used to his torment.

"I was just having a drink over there when I noticed how peculiarly happy you were today. Any particular reason?" He took a sip of his whiskey. He saw something flash behind Niklaus' eyes before they became hard again with his response.

"Of course! I just found out I'm getting promoted!" Colin narrowed his eyes and took the seat opposite of Niklaus.

"Really? What kind of job do you have?" He inquired easily. To anyone else it'd appear as if two friends were simply having a drink, but to anyone who watched carefully, they'd notice Colin's foot swinging slightly beneath the chair, the way his hands barely touched the cup, the way his eyes shifted over Niklaus, analysing him, or they'd notice Niklaus' scowl hidden well behind a pleasant smile, the way his eyes were slightly narrowed at Colin and his question.

"I clean up messes, a trash collector if you will. Not the best job in the world but it pays very well." Niklaus leaned back.

"Does Cerise work with you?" Colin copied him, resting his back on the wood chair. At his question, Niklaus narrowed his eyes and placed his hands on the table before standing up.

"Stop asking questions Knight. You better hope you don't see Cerise again, because trust me, you'll fall, and you'll fall hard, and falling hard for her is the most dangerous thing in the world." His voice was deep, and to Colin's dismay, intimidating.

"I believe you know this first hand?" His fingers gripped the cup yet his voice was strong and fearless. Niklaus didn't respond, keeping his eyes on the knight. His glower the strongest he'd ever seen, second to the King's.

"Careful Knight. Don't ask questions that you won't like the answer to. For your own good, and for hers," He stressed, "stay away from Cerise." Niklaus shot back his drink before leaving the bar in a fit, ignoring the women ogling him on his way out.