chapter one

I couldn't believe it, I haven't even thought about them for the past couple months it finally got easier to suppress them as time went on, it was better for my mentality if I forget and numb my insides to not feel any emotion towards them or this situation that became apart of my life but here I was my hands clammy as I felt my heart rate beat uncontrollably as the car came to a stop outside Laney's driveway, ever since my mother called me I became a little shaken up which wasn't me, I wasn't even in my right mind right know but Laney needed to know.

I took a breath before unbuckling my seatbelt and getting out of the car to be met by the cold crisp air of the night that greeted me with every step I took towards her front door.

I walked in seeing the 13 year old sitting in her PJs on the sofa watching some nickelodeon show as I paced myself "hey Miranda wheres your sister?" I asked as she turned with a smile acknowledging my presence.

"She's in her room" she replied.

"Thanks" I said returning her smile quickly before making my way to the staircase hearing my feet tap each wooden panel as I jogged up.

My mother and Laney's where out of town on business so me and Laney where taking care of Miranda as usual but I had things to do today so I was more distracted well until that phone call it's funny how your life can change like someone's pulled a switch for the realisation kicks in and you have no idea what to do but I won't be feeling like that for long Laney was my best friend, my sister and the only person I opened up to, after they left I shut people out and trusted less mainly because the people I'd give my life for left us, abandoned us and broke the family, could they really be that heartless? They must have known this wouldn't end well for us if they left and yet they did but why was my question.

I walked down the hallway landing how can I tell her? How will she react? What will we do? The knots that came to form in my stomach knots turned before I opened the door to her bedroom seeing her laying on her bed with her phone in hand so I walked over and plopped myself beside her, oh here we go.

She turned to face me when her smile dropped and by the look on her face she knew I wasn't myself, no one could read me at all it was always a guessing game when people saw us, it's what we became what they made us but we could read each other easier than the page of a book.

"Hey" she started sitting up as she shut her phone off laying it by her side studying my features carefully "what's up?" She questioned, I was never one to beat around the bush and thankfully neither was Laney so cutting to the point I gave a simple reply.

"Their back" the words left my lips as I looked at her, she looked as is she'd been hit in the face by a ton of bricks, it's funny isn't it how a couple years ago we would have dreamed for someone to utter those words but now we bore bitterness towards them.

Times change and that's all life was made out of time, it's all that mattered but right know in this moment time might has well of stopped for the both of us as I uttered those words it really became real, I wasn't just loosing my mind like I tried convincing myself, no because it was real.

We sat there in silence as I looked at her hazel glazed over eyes till finally she spoke "wait, wait, wait what do you mean their back? Have you seen them?" She asked frantically as she sat up with her legs crossed as I followed doing the same.

"No" I uttered with a lifeless tone before continuing "my mom phoned me earlier their finally home" I said before she leaped forward wrapping her arms around me.

"What do we do? I mean it's been 3 years and they left us?" she asked as I rested my head on her shoulder.

I love Laney she may not be blood but she's my sister, my partner in crime and practically my other half considering we haven't left each other's side since diapers, we're family and I knew she would be hurting to.