Chapter 1: The Secluded Garden

Start from the beginning

I actually couldn't imagine a world where humans were the dominant species. It just seems so farfetched that we ever were. I just wanted to live without fear, the fear of being hunted by a predator for reasons I never knew.

What did we do?

What horrible thing did we do to justify the death of our race? I'm sure I'll never know as everything has been muddled over the years.

There it is!

I giggled with delight, seeing a large mansion creeping into view, just outside of the forest, the only property on what seemed to be acres. It was surrounded by a black iron fence and that really should have been my first and only indication to never set foot on this property. Coming to stop in front of a large oak tree, I grabbed onto little divots in the tree bark, placing my feet on the previous holdings where I had climbed up in the past. Pulling myself up onto the third highest tree branch, I ventured out onto its limb that hovered above the fence, scotching until I was on the other side.

Slowly lowering myself down, I dropped ten feet, bending my knees as I braced for the impact. It was a lot easier to leave then to come in, as the large gate to the fence was always locked from the inside, not the outside.

The beauty astounded me, taking in the sight of fresh fruit and vegetables growing from the Earth in this secluded garden at the back of the property. I figured out it was his land the very first time I stumbled upon this place, the sigil of his family's crest hung above the grand door. It frightened me at first, learning where exactly I had found myself wandering off to, but remembering that the daylight would protect me, eased my mind.

It's crazy, they have lights that don't require a candle to brighten their home. I contemplated exactly what other type of luxuries they possessed, curious as to if my family could ever get anything so nice as what the vampires had.

Oh! The peaches are ripe enough to pick from the tree now!

I was so excited to taste the sweet fruit; my mouth was already watering. It had been a very long time since I had anything so delicious! Before going to pick the fruit, I slowly wandered the rest of the gardened, noticing there was corn and celery that were also ready, along with a few ripe tomatoes.

Mmmmm! I bet they'll taste great in a soup mom will make!

At least my father had gathered fallen branches yesterday in order to heat up the stove, allowing us to cook the meat he would surely bring home along with these special ingredients for a soup. A cold shiver ran down my spine as I heard the back door open to the glorious mansion, my heart beating uncontrollably.

I-it can't be...a v-v-vampire? How is a vampire walking around in the daylight?

I looked up to the sky, the sun slowly sinking behind the trees, just out of sight though it was still bright outside.

Quickly running away from the vegetable portion of the garden, I made a break for the peach tree, hiding myself from view. The large gate was much further away from where I was standing and I was much too terrified to try and outrun whatever had just left the mansion. I buried my face against the tree trunk, trying to make myself appear as small as possible.

I could hear the faint rustling of footsteps on the gravel that surround the garden, my fear rising as I heard a voice announce its presence.

"You don't have to hide, I'm not going to bite," the vampire smiled at me, the fangs that slipped between his lips made my heart beat faster. I should have known I'd get caught sooner or later, but the vegetables that grew in this garden were just too precious to pass up. It didn't make things any better that I knew I was trespassing on the vampire prince's grounds. I'd only existed for the sun to travel around the Earth eighteen times. Now, I would become another passing memory of this world.

"I'm scared," I whispered, my body shaking with terror as I continued to cower in fear behind the peach tree, the palms of my hands planted firmly against the rough bark.

"Don't be," the vampire took a step back away from me, "I'm Korbyn Blackmore."

"I-I know who you are," my voice quivered, "Y-you're the vampire prince."

"And you are a very rare sighting, though I have watched you sneak into my garden many times," Korbyn's surprising words threw me through a whirlwind. I thought I was being cautious, but he was observing me the entire time.

"Wh-why haven't you taken my life?" Knowing the answer could be scarier than a fate worse than death.

Korbyn slowly walked around the tree, not making any sudden movements to scare me. He leaned his forearm against the tree trunk, tilting his head to the side curiously as he stated, "I've never seen a human being before. You enchant me little butterfly."

"Bu-butterfly?" My eyes gazed up into his entrancing and inhumanly beautiful sapphire orbs.

Korbyn chuckled softly at my confusion and replied, "You are as free as the sun, though bound to this world. Tell me butterfly, what is your name?"

"Nova."

I shrank away from him, shifting around the base of the tree to avoid eye contact with the alluring creature. He continued to follow me, stating, "That's a very beautiful name, Nova."

My name sounded different rolling off his tongue compared to when my parents would call after me or say my name. I couldn't respond to him. It felt like I was being toyed around with as he was the predator and I was his prey. It confused me though, when he said he hadn't ever seen a human before. He must be younger than what we all thought. I couldn't tell exactly how old he was though, because he was immortal...

Korbyn reached his hand up into the tree branches, a twig snapping and causing me to jump. His eyes held no ill will toward me, but I couldn't understand why. He brought from the tree branch, a soft and delicate looking peach, holding the fruit out from his body and gesturing for me to take it. My eyes flickered from his and then back to the fruit, slowly outstretching my shaky hand to his. I opened the palm of my hand and he gently placed the fruit into it, quickly retracting my hand to my chest.

"Butterfly, you are so very unique," Korbyn was lingering now between my escape and from my hiding place. "I would very much like it if you came back, though you are free to do as you wish."

What?

Confusion was clearly written on my face, the vampire prince sidestepping out of the way and showing me the exit to the garden. It has to be a trick, he's going to capture me and turn me into a soup!

I shook my head, tears slowly brimming to the surface of my eyes. If I leave, he might follow me and kill my parents along with me. I wouldn't do that to them, but I wanted to leave this place, though it was the most beautiful place I had ever been in. His dark hair fell just a little in front of his face, his eyes glimmered with elegance as he watched me.

"If you want to go home, you probably should leave now," Korbyn's smile slowly faded as the sky continued to darken. "The night is made for monsters, which you are most certainly not and if you want to avoid them, you need to go." He continued to urge me and I was suddenly almost more afraid of my mother's wrath if I wasn't home in time.

I edged out from behind the safety of the peach tree, my fingertips brushing the bark as I circled around it. Making my final decision, I ran towards the large iron gate, my breathing coming in short gasps as I reached the cold metal bars. Glancing over my shoulder, I noticed that Korbyn was still standing where I had last seen him. He shook his head and chuckled softly to himself, "Fly free little butterfly."

Until next time! <3