Chapter One | Winter And Other Seasons

C H A P T E R   O N E  |  W I N T E R  A N D  O T H E R  S E A S O N S

          "He won't come, Anna." I told her getting even more irritated. Anna has been my friend for as long as I can remember, she had a tanned skin, dark brown hair and matching eyes, she was just the kind of person who would really solve your problem, and not just leave it be even after all my attempts to get her to forget it. She was sitting in one of the locker room's benches while I was getting my gear.
         After I finished my hockey practice for the day, I was feeling quite tired but there was a party at a friend's house tonight and we were going together.
         We had a game tomorrow and I know I shouldn't be going to this party but my entire team will be there. Coach wanted us to train today even if supposedly there was no practice today, he said and I quote, Screw training schedules, if I want you training today you will be training today. Yeah, he was such a sweetheart. So we all jumped at the opportunity to party a little and have some fun.
         Anna came exactly after practice so that we would go to my room so I could change and head to Jessica's party with her. We were meeting Trey and Caleb there. Although coach said no parties before any game, and he made it clear about this party as well, we were going. Trey never says no to free drinks and as his best friend I was supposed to stop him from getting in trouble.  
         "You won't lose anything, just send it." She said, trying to convince me to send a ticket of tomorrow's game to my father. She's right though, I won't lose anything. I know he won't show up.
         "No." I replied getting my neck guard and elbow pads. I loved the game but moving its equipment around was a pain, we usually leave them here but tomorrow's game will be early and I won't have time to come here and grab them. 

         "If you don't send it, I will." Knowing Anna, yeah, she'll do it. I wish she would just back off sometimes. She knows my father, and she knows he never shows up. Every game, she has me send him tickets. I'm gonna bang my head against this stupid wall until I fucking die, may be then she'll forget about the tickets.
         "God! Fine." I said completely frustrated.
         She seemed satisfied by my answer. Then she remembered that we're still in the locker room. She hated it when I made her wait. "Are you almost done here or what? " She asked annoyed. She had every right to, I myself was so fucking annoyed here.  
         "Almost done." I replied getting my hockey stick and ice skates. "Finished."                 
         "Jesus, that took a fucking century." She sighed in relief.
         "Oh, come on we've been here for‒"

         "For forty fucking minutes." She cut me. "Come on, lets go get ready."
         "Yes, Ma'am." I mused.    

         Two hours later, we were at Jessica's house. Jessica was one of the very few who lived at their homes, we all went to a boarding school just outside of the city. Her home was beautiful with a very big garden and two huge swimming pools. Although we were in winter, that didn't stop people from swarming the pool and well, the heaters were a definite plus. The entire estate was perfect and we all had to give it to Jessica, she knew how to throw a party.
         I've been here for thirty minutes now and I already lost Anna, and only had glances of Trey and didn't see Caleb or Jason at all, I knew later that Caleb and Jason didn't come to the party and went to celebrate with Caleb's big brother Cameron and his college teammates. I was having fun and I was also so wasted. I was dancing to a song called "We Run the Night" by Havana Brown ft. Pitbull, when I heard people yelling Jump repeatedly.
         I hurried outside to see what was happening. There was a lot of people out here, I was laughing too hard as well, the welcome shot I'd taken once I got here is starting to kick in, I guess. It was probably some guy wanting to jump in the pool, and by the number of people interested, I'd say he was wasted and maybe even naked. I kept pushing through the huge crowd, when I finally got a clear look at what was happening, I felt completely sober. It wasn't the pool. Shit. Shit.
         "Holy fuck." I whispered. I stared wide eyed at Trey, who was at the roof completely wasted. He kept saying that he was a bird, and he kept swaying left and right. Through the crowd, I noticed another freaked out face rather than the laughing ones. My eyes locked with Anna's and she had the same horror look in her eyes as mine. I nodded at her and she stormed out disappearing into the crowd. Well, I just need to calm down. I'm gonna fucking kill the idiot.
         "Shut the fuck up, everyone." I said voice loud. Everyone lowered their voices, looking out for more drama, but there were people who were too drunk to realize that was an actual human being up there and not a fucking duck and kept screaming at him to jump.
         "Trey, come down here and I mean by stairs and not jumping your ass off." I said loudly adding the last part quickly, when I thought he was considering jumping off the roof.                 
         "But I'm a bird." He pouted. He was swaying left and right and that was freaking me the fuck out. What the fuck did he have?
         "Bird my ass, if you jump you'll end up with a broken neck and coach is gonna shoot the fuck out of the entire team." I said irritated forgetting for a second that he might fall to his death and actually replying.  
         "What's a coach?" He asked confused, his brows furrowed.
         "Fuck." I whispered looking at the ground for a moment. He was too fucking wasted, I thought. I was pretty sure I was gonna go curl in a dark corner and cry any second now. It wasn't that high so if he jumped it wouldn't cause any serious damage. But he'd probably end up with a sprain or a broken bone and that was enough for coach to end my life. He was our star goalie. He was my fucking best friend. Oh, fuck, coach was gonna kill us.  
         "Come here, Trey." I looked up when I heard Anna's voice. She was now on the roof too, trying to convince Trey that he wasn't a fucking bird.
         "But I can fly." He said pouting again, actually seeming sad for us not believing he was a fucking a bird. What the fuck did he take?
         "You can be a bird when we get down." She said with a reassuring smile. He seemed to be considering it for a moment. She was approaching him steadily, trying not surprise him into jumping.
         "Nah, I like it here." He grinned. More like tried to because he was too damn drunk to actually do shit.
         There were gasps, a couple of screams and that's when I realized that he jumped. He fucking jumped. Fuck. It took me a second to recover from my shock and started running like hell, horrified of what might have happened to him. When I reached him, I fell to my knees right next to him.  
         "Trey?" I asked shaking him. No answer. I heard someone mention a hospital, but I was so focused on finding any sign of life in him to care. It wasn't that high so it wasn't supposed to be anything serious, right? I knelt to check his breathing and instantly felt relieved that he was still breathing. Thank god.
         "We'll carry him to my car and get him to a hospital, we can't wait for an ambulance to arrive." Anna said breathing heavily. She must've ran down here. It was obvious that she was fighting with herself to stay calm. I nodded my agreement. Someone brought some kind of sheet and we moved him carefully and put him on it careful not to move him at all in case it was dangerous.
         We drove fast but the house was not close to any hospital as it was in the outskirts of the town same as our school. Thirty minutes later, we arrived at the hospital.  
         "I'm gonna go get someone to carry him in." I told Anna while unbuckling my seatbelt and running inside.
         "Hurry." I heard her say when I was running to the emergency room, pushing the door and running in.
         I slowed down searching the room with my eyes, they stopped immediately when I spotted a bunch of nurses seated in the corner, they all seemed old and were dressed in white. I broke to a run once I saw them.
         "Please, help me, My friend fell off the roof and he's been unconscious ever since." I was on the verge of tears now. That stupid idiot.
         "Wait there please." The old nurse with terrible make up said smirking pointing her finger at one of the seats in the room. I stared at her. What the fuck, now?  
         "Excuse me?" I yelled at her.  
         "Please wait here, until you hear your name. Give me your ID, please?" I stared, mouth wide open.
         "What's your fucking problem? My friend is injured outside and you won't take him in‒"
         "You have to calm do‒" She cut me.
         "You don't tell me to calm down, you sure as hell don't cut m‒" I yelled even louder this time.  
         "If you don't calm down, I'll call the security to escort you outside." She cut me again. That's it, this bitch is going down. I sprinted at her earning me a few gasps from her bitch-friends. I made a grab for her hair but that's when three men with security outfits butted in and grabbed both my arms yanking me away from her. Trey was still outside. Fuck.