Not that I would take that part back if I had the choice. Even if mine and Jord’s relationship had caused more strain than I thought humanly possible, it would be worth it in the end - it already was. I glanced at him then and he gave me a comforting smile. Just that small notion reminded me exactly why we’d risked so much to be with each other.

I carried on my walk once I’d quickly inspected the lounge, choosing to just avoid the kitchen and head straight up to my main destination of my room. “I’ve never been up here.” Jord mused as we ascended the stairs together.

I chuckled, realising that he was right. “First time for everything.” I declared as I pushed open the door of my room, wondering suddenly if I’d left anything embarrassing out that the police, and now Jord, would have seen when they no doubt searched my room.

The feeling that someone had been in here hit me immediately. No one, apart from my parents and my friends, ever came in my room and so it stayed exactly the same, all the time. It was different now, though, and I realised that the police had been searching through my draws and cupboards as well. Even though I’d been expecting that, I tried to think they’d come up empty - that it would be impossible to tell when I returned.

I opened my wardrobe and scanned through my clothes to make sure nothing was missing. My clothes were all there, but one of the draws, that I kept my old school books in normally, was missing and I frowned. When I looked back to my desk, I saw they were piled on there and it didn’t take me long to realise what had happened.

“My parents hid there drugs in my room!” I exploded angrily.

Jord raised an eyebrow from the seat he’d decided to take on my single bed. “How do you know?” He asked, puzzled.

“My old school stuff draw is gone and the things that were in it are piled on there.” I gestured to the desk. “They’ve taken the draw, which means it must have had drugs in it.”

“Oh,” Jord realised I was right and pulled a face. “Your parents are unbelievable.”

I nodded, grimacing. “And to think I always thought they tried to keep me out of it, and then they’ve been hiding the stuff in my room the entire time. What if I’d have found it and decided to have a go? They’d have been regretting it then, wouldn’t they?” I huffed venomously. “Then again, I suppose they wouldn’t know the difference from their cell.”

Jord sighed, but gestured for me to sit next to him on my unused bed. I followed his suggestion, but didn’t bother wiping the scowl off my face. He sighed again, heavier this time, which caused me to crack a half-smile in spite of myself. “Finding it amusing now, are you?” He inquired sarcastically.

I smirked. “No, but your obvious exasperation is kind of entertaining.” I teased, leaning into his side and revelling in the moment’s peace I got just from being surrounded by someone I loved. Then, as quickly as it had gone, the reality came crashing back down again and I found the grimace resurfacing. “When do you think they’ll get out?” I asked quietly, already dreading the answer.

In one way, I wanted them to be released as soon as possible, so that they could be forced to see the reality they were missing trapped inside the snug rehabilitation unit they’d found themselves in. Also, just because they were my parents and despite all they’d done, I didn’t like knowing they were being forced to stay anywhere, even if they were far too enthusiastic about it.

On the other hand, I wanted them to stay in rehab, just so that they could get over their addiction once and for all. My parents being on drugs had been holding me back for two years now and knowing they were failing in their duty of care towards me, just so they could get high on illegal substances, had hurt me. If they could get over their drug problem then maybe things could go back to how they always had been, with them looking out for me and actually caring.