Chapter 34

Chapter Thirty-Four…

When I woke up, Jord was still snugly wrapped around me. The only difference this time, was that I was reciprocating the gesture. My arms were embracing his torso and my face was buried into his chest. 

It was then that I realised I hadn’t woken up by myself. Grace was towering over me, finger outstretched like she was going to poke me - probably for the second time.

“I’m awake.” I assured her, my voice muffled as my mouth was still partly squashed against Jord. 

Grace chuckled at my groggy voice and my, no doubt messed up, hair. “Just wake him up.” She told me, before taking a seat next to two people, who I immediately recognised as Mel’s parents. I assumed they’d arrived recently and that was why Grace was waking me up.

Glancing up at Jord, his face was so peaceful that I didn’t really want to wake him up. He looked so adorable, his mouth opened slightly. “I’ll feel mean waking him up.” I pouted at Grace, who rolled her eyes. 

“Just do it, or I will.” 

“Fine.” I muttered. 

Removing my arms from around his waist, I thought about the best way to do this. “Jord,” I whispered, trying not to be too loud, for risk of disturbing someone else in the nearby rooms. He didn’t stir though, so I tried it a bit louder. “Jord,” I spoke, slightly higher pitched and with more volume. 

He still didn’t make any movement though, causing me to scowl. What did it take to wake this man up? 

Trying a different tactic, I started prodding him, in the chest, in the arms, even in the cheeks, to no avail. Although I did get some kind of response this time, all he did was pull me impossibly closer, so that my face was at a much smaller proximity than it should have been in public. 

I sent a Grace a helpless look, trying to avoid the manic urge to kiss him that was welling up inside me. 

She just shrugged, appearing a lot more amused than I was. 

Sighing, I did what I probably should have tried at the very beginning. Lifting my hand, I slapped him across the face. 

It ended up being slightly harder than I had meant it to be, and the sound of my hand hitting his cheek reverberated around the room. 

In an instant, his eyes had snapped open and I had my back against the bench. 

He’d flipped us over, pinning me down and holding my arms above my head so that he had most of his weight covering me. 

Flushing, I bit my lip sheepishly. “Sorry,” I whispered, a grin spreading across my face when I noticed the red hand mark that now shone on his cheek. 

He narrowed his eyes at me. “Was there really any need to slap me?” He queried with an incredulous, yet still playful, look.