Paradise

"Can we stay here forever..." he whispered. You felt his breath close to your neck. Looking up as you lay on your back, you see the starry sky peeking through the small square at the top of the tent that you had left uncovered. You craned your neck to take a look at him. His eyes fluttered shut, and he was nestled next to you. You smile and look back to the sky and gently squeeze his hand. The blankets are warm, and the breeze is mild.

Paradise.
This is paradise.

You recognize that Paul is now in a fitful sleep, and his breathing has slowed to a relaxed pace. You turn and kiss his forehead before shutting your eyes from feasting on the sky.

••••••••••••••••

You take in a full breath of the fresh air through your nostrils as you wake to flooding sunlight. Paul's arm is draped across you, and you slide it off as you sit up and hold the blanket close. Paul stirs beside you.
   "Wake up, it's beautiful," Your slender hand tugs at the blanket around his bare chest.
   His eyes open as you speak. He looks at you. "You're right... what a beautiful view..." he reaches out and touches your arm tenderly as you make eye contact. He sits up. "You're my paradise," you pull him in a kiss him. He smiles as he kisses you back... and then again.
   "There's food in the car," Paul stands up and slips on his shoes. You follow suit and walk out with him in your lacy white nightgown. It's already lunch time. He opens the trunk and you get out something to eat and sit on the grass, in the sun, in the middle of nowhere, with Paul.
With him.
Paradise.
It's paradise.
It's where I never dreamed I of ALL PEOPLE would end up.