Deathball Part 1

Jessica, Matt and I make our way to second period which happens to be gym. At my old school I actually didn't mind gym but then again I had Elana and those people didn't know about my past.

As we are walking, a guy shoves past me, and after hitting my shoulder, scowls walking away. I faintly hear Jess about to go off on the guy as I stop walking and my eyes widen. suddenly I'm driving recklessly down a road at night. I look in my rear view mirror and see that I'm not me, I'm the guy that just ran into me. No matter what I do I can't stop myself. I look down for one second and then back up in time to see a dear. I swerve the car and all I see is a tree- I blink and realize I'm still in the hall and Jess is just finishing yelling after the guy.

"Yeah that's right douche dick keep walking!" She yells before turning to look at me. "Don't know what his problem was. Are you ok? You look a bit disheveled." Matt says looking a bit concerned. I turn around and watch the guy turn the corner before letting Matt know I was fine. Get it together Cassandra. I tell myself before continuing on towards second period with Jess and Matt.

Soon enough, we turn down a hallway that branches off into two other hallways. "See u in a minute." Matt says as he takes the left hallway and catches up with some of his guy friends.

"Down there and through the door at the end of the hallway is the boy's locker room. If you turn right here, that door at the end is the girl's locker room. If you go down the boys hallway and make a right before hitting their locker room, you will find a door into the gym. Like wise, if you go down the girl's hallway and make a left before hitting our locker room, you'll find another entrance into the gym." Jess says to me after Matt leaves. "One thing about this school is there is a lot of doors. No doubt you'll get lost." She says matter-of-factly. Seeing the look on my face she hooks her arms around mine and pulls me down the right hallway to the girl's locker room.

After entering, all eyes are on me and the chatter stops immediately. "Problem?" Jess says looking at everyone in the eye. Everyone immediately goes back to what they were doing but within the chatter I hear whispering. "Wow news travels fast around here huh." I say with a sigh. I avoid looking Jess in the eyes because I know pity with be there. It's always there.

Jess clears her throat and hands me some gym clothes which consists of a gray shirt with our school name on it and shorts with the school name on the bottom. I take off my shirt without a second thought and then I hear "WHOLY CHEESEBALLS!! YOU HAVE A TATTOO?!?!"

I blush and quickly put on my gym shirt before anyone else sees. "Would you be quiet! People already are talking about me, let's not give them more to talk about!" I whisper shout to an awe struck Jess. A sudden wave of excitement and happiness hits me full force. What the hell was that? I think to myself.

"Oh hehe sorry. I don't even know where to begin! Why don't you tell me you had a tattoo? Let alone one of freaking fallen angel wings taking up your WHOLE back!" Jess says lowering her voice. Not really knowing what to tell her since I don't even know how it appeared, I just say, "I got it not too long ago. It signifies flying away from my past."

Jess seems content for right now with that information so she decides to drop the conversation and we finish getting dressed. I see her sneaking sideways glances at my back but I ignore her. I keep the ring and the chain on because for some reason, it's calming. We then head out into the gym.

We find our gym teacher Mr. Chipolette and he welcomes me and adds my name to the roll. He informs me that we sit in specific lines for stretches before going into the game of the day. He points me to my spot in the lines and I inwardly groan. Jess wave goodbye and goes a few rows over from where my spot is while Matt is a few spots in front of me talking to his guy friends. What made me groan was who was directly behind me.

I sit down and I immediately feel his stare on the back of my head. I ignore him as best I can but he scoots closer to me and I can feel his breath on the back of my neck. "Long time no see is it not?" He says playing with my hair. I can hear the smirk in his voice.

I shudder from the close proximity and the weird hold he has over me. Come on Cassandra keep it together. He's just a boy nothing to get worked up about my conscience tells me.  I don't turn back but I say sharply, "Not long enough." He laughs and my stomach does a flip.

"Awe come on Cass you still can't be mad about our little window incident." He whispers in my ear. I would how those lips would feel on my li- wait no Cassandra stop it! Bad Cassandra Bad! While deep in my thoughts, I feel a hand on the middle of my back that causes me to gasp at the intensity of his touch. I exhale shakily but quickly try to control myself while turn to face him, removing his hand in the process.

I prepare myself to start going off on him but as soon as I turn around I lock eyes with his ever so dark blue ones and all my resolve goes out the window. I'm lost in the storm of his irises and I don't know what to think. He breaks our gaze in order to look down at my lips before meeting my eyes again. Realization suddenly dawns on me and I look away suddenly, my cheeks undoubtedly beet red.

I look back up at Evan after finally clearing my head and shock and disappointment  flash quickly through his features before he goes back to his usual smirking self. What catches my eye is how intense and bright the blue in his eyes are. As soon as he blinks, his eyes go back to their normal mysterious self and I'm left believing I imagined the whole thing.

He opens his mouth to speak, undoubtedly with a stupid comment on the weirdness that just occurred between us, but the coach announces that it's time to stretch so I turn around. After stretching (and a lot of stares from Evan while doing them) the coach begins discussing the plans for today.

"Instead of playing basketball like we usually do on inside days, today you guys are gonna play death ball." I hear a lot cheers and a few groans but what catches my ear is a chuckle from behind me. I shoot him a questioning face and he replies smugly, "darling you don't even know." I huff and roll my eyes at him and turn back towards the coach who had started explaining the rules.

"The game is pretty simple. The gym is divided into two sides, one side "angels"and one side "demons." He says using air quotes. "Each side has a leader. The angel side has a leader who represents life while the demon side has someone to be death. If you are hit by someone from the opposing team (not their leader), then you must sit down until your leader tags you. If you are hit by the other team's leader you must transfer to their side.

For example, I am a demon and I get hit by Life, Now I must join the Angels. To win the game, you must get everyone on the other team out (sitting down). This can be achieved by knocking out the team's leader. If the leader is hit, they are down for the rest of the game and anyone who gets out after the leader stays out because the leader can't revive them. If a leader gets another leader out, the game ends immediately. Any questions?"

For some reason, I really do not want to play this game. "What's wrong sweetheart? Afraid to die?" I hear Evan say. I ignore him and wait for the coach to split us up. In the end, me and Matt are placed on the Angel's side while Jess ends up on the demon side. She gives me and Matt a pouty face before heading over to her side to talk to some of her other friends.

I walk over to where Matt is waiting on our side. "So I see you've met Evan." Matt says to me with a fake smile. You don't know the half of it I think to myself. Before I could answer him out loud, I hear the coach say "Waters. It's your first day so what better way to get you used to this place than for you to be really in the game? You're Life."

I turn back to Matt with an look of disbelief on my face. He chuckles at me and smiles showing dimples. "Don't worry Cassy. I'll be your guardian angel. I'll protect you" I offer him a smile back but then it falters after I hear the coach call another name. "Reaper. You're Death."