"I need you to believe me when I say that we're going to get through this Becca," Eric told me, his dark eyes piercing into mine. "There's an entire top agency out there looking for us and we know what we're doing. Even if this is challenging, at least we have each other."

I scoffed. "Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Give me the whole 'at least we have each other' crap. I don't even know what the hell is going on between the two of us and I'm literally minutes away from ripping Mackenzie's hair out of her own scalp."

He frowned. "What do you mean you don't know what's going on between us?" he asked, ignoring the violent threat I'd made against Mackenzie. "We've been working well together for months."

I gave him a look. "You know what I meant."

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, but you know where I stand on that."

I clenched my jaw as his words sunk in. I wanted to cry. He was still rejecting me. It was months later and we were still having this conversation again.

"This isn't the time for that." he continued. "We need to work on ensuring our survival."

I knew he was right. I wanted to argue. I wanted to scream at him and tell him to... well I don't know. I had no idea what I wanted to tell him. He'd pretty much said it all. I just wanted to argue with every word of it. But how could I?

I stayed in silence as he continued to collect firewood. I silently gave myself a sarcastic thank you for now making things even more awkward and complicated between us. I should have just shut up and kept my thoughts to myself.

I looked up at the sky again, keeping my eyes on it as I listened to the sound of Eric picking up and stacking pieces of wood. I watched as some of the stars glimmered but my eyes were instantly drawn to the full moon. I'd never seen the moon look this big before. It was breathtaking. It brightened up the entire night sky and I could feel it's light shining down on my face.

"I noticed you've been staring at the sky a lot," Eric noted, bringing my attention back to him. "Can I ask why you do that?"

I knew he was probably just looking for a way to try and make things between us go back to normal and end the tension. But I sighed and decided to reply honestly. "I don't know. I guess I just find something comforting in it. The moon makes me feel safe - like it's watching over me or something."

"Really?" he responded, sounding surprised. "The moon kind of makes me anxious. It reminds me of darkness and all the bad things that can happen in it. Did you know that more murders occur during a full moon than any other night of the year?"

I let a small smile escape me as I kept my eyes up at the sky. "You ruined the moment Eric."

I heard a small laugh from his end and I suddenly felt a little calmer. "I'm sorry, I'll bring it back. The moon is beautiful."

"It is." I agreed. "No matter how many times I look at it, I'm always stunned by how beautiful it is."

"I know exactly what you mean." There was something low and meaningful in his voice that made me turn to him, but he was already looking at me. There was a moment of silence where we both said nothing.

"What you were saying earlier," he spoke carefully, choosing his words with caution. "About the whole confusion of our relationship. I wanted you to know that my feelings still haven't changed for you."

I felt like someone had thrown me in cold water, waking me up completely. I'd always hoped to hear those words from him but they'd still caught me off guard. I looked at him and saw the fire burning in his eyes.