Chapter Two

Dinner had been a huge pain to get through, but I'd managed somehow. It was hard to ignore the constant glares from Debby across the table as I maintained light chatter with everyone. I knew she was still pissed at me, but she was going to have to get over it. I made my decision when I sat on that school bench after graduation. I was going to be an RUA agent – whether she liked it or not.

The big issue had been trying to come up with a plan that would allow me to do that. I was still having conflicted feelings about not letting my Mom know that I had joined again but I'd realized Debby was right. My Mom would've freaked out if I'd told her and there would have been no way in hell I could have joined.

Debby decided the best idea was for me to say that I was going on a camping trip with her whenever the mission started in order to buy me at least a week's worth of time. If I'd need more time... then we'd have to work something else out. Whenever I was assigned the mission, the plan would commence. Until then, it was a waiting game.

"Did you ever find those documents for Ben?" Cassie asked, interrupting me from my thoughts.

I chewed on a bite of my sandwich as I thought about it. "The phone call scripts?" I asked between munches.

She nodded as she swiveled around carelessly on her office chair. "It's just for reviewing because he wanted to take one last look at them before he officially closed the case."

Even though we were on lunch break, the agent talk never stopped. It gave me a better understanding of why Eric was always so consumed with his work and never seemed to do anything else. There were so many things that had to be done and even if they were, months of case reviewing and report filling would take place after. We still hadn't even closed the Kennedy High mission and it wasn't likely to be finished for a while. Especially with what had happened, with everything being so sudden and unplanned we were trying to make sense of it all.

"Tell Agent Ben that I'll dig around for them this afternoon," I instructed. "He was after the one's monitored between Tasha and Violet right?"

She nodded while tapping her fingers against her desk. She continued swiveling on her chair while its squeaks echoed around the room.

"When are you going on mission next?" I asked Cassie to end the silence.

"Not for another few weeks at least." She muttered rolling her eyes. "Captain wants me to stay here and monitor a heap of cases."

I raised an eyebrow. "Isn't that a good thing?" I asked. "Not having to worry about your safety every second and just getting to stay in your office?" I failed to see the issue.

"Yeah but where's the thrill?" She grinned her eyes widening with excitement. "Where's the adventure? Where's the trips to Las Vegas or even Paris with designer clothing and five-star hotels?"

I laughed. "You and I certainly don't get assigned the same cases then."

To be fair, I'd only had the one so far...but the whole fake rich heiress or multimillionaire supermodel didn't seem like it was going to be my typecast.

"Hey, at least you get to stay home and watch Netflix as often as you want. You couldn't do that in Paris." I offered.

She stopped moving in her chair as she creased her forehead in thought. "Don't they have Netflix in France?"

I laughed. "Not what I meant. I was trying to indicate that you wouldn't exactly have the time to watch Netflix if you were on a mission. But here, you could do that and more! It's what I get up to when I'm not here." I explained. Just the thought of thrilling tv dramas and teen 80s movies were comforting me.