His hurt (Chapter 7) Penny's POV

Jackson's weight was weighing me down, I held his hand securely over my shoulder but he was quickly falling off. His bloodied face made me angry and hurt and something else. He was trying hard to stand up straight but was getting out of balance in the process.

Just a little more distance to the doctor's room but I don't think I can make it there without falling. My back was hurting really bad now. He is hurting my back in the process of supporting himself.

How did this day turn so eventful? My stealth skills suck. If I had avoided Derek well, none of this would have happened.
Looking at both of them getting at each other was the scariest thing ever.
I just wanted to finish high school without unnecessary drama but so much for wishing.....

What was Jackson thinking? He had always been a chivalrous boy but this was getting too far. He had protected me from bullies and kept any and all boys away from me for as long as I can remember. I know I shouldn't let him control my life like that but I didn't need any other company. Sitting with him in our childhood Tree House and eating terrible sandwiches made in a hurry by him is my idea of fun. The parties and clubs that Merlie preferred always baffled me. What is fun about crowd, loud music and drunkards?

I know what people say behind my back about Jackson and me. We are the "unofficial" couple of the school. No guy even tries approaching me because of Jackson but he had his share of hook ups. I am actually hating that. I know that Jackson thinks that guys mean heartbreak and he's just protecting me like how I'm protecting Merlie but I'm getting tired of it. I just want to go out on a real date just for once.

"What is this?!" A panicked Mr Bernard asked. He's going to assume the worst and it is the worst so what am I going to say? There is no lie I can make up for this. Should I say that he fell off from a tree trying to save a cat? Nah, it's too obvious. I better tell him the truth and deal with the consequences. I really hope it doesn't affect his scholarship chances.....

"He got into a small brawl" I said panicking. Can't he just focus on the wounds first?!

I can't mention Derek, he'll be in big trouble. He would have left for home to take care of his own wouds. He was hurt pretty badly too. I wonder how many punches Jacky got in...they are both extremely built and aggressive but I know Derek's got the speed Jackson lacked. These macho dudes were always at each other's throat for no particular reason. They were always fighting for the spotlight on the basketball court. Without Derek and Jackson the team pretty much sucked. They are great assets to the team so the other boys keep their fights at bay. Neither of them are captains, it's a smart move on the coach's part. Keeping them both away from the leadership gave them one less reason to fight over.

I could just say that some random stranger started a fight and took off. That will get Jackson less screwed and Derek saved. Who would have ever thought I'd save Derek's ass!

"I'll tend to his wounds, you better go alert the school authorities. You and Mr Whitesides are in so much trouble" between lecturing me and trying to help Jacky to the bed, he was being the clumsiest person alive. He repeatedly hit desks and knocked down vintage room decor items leaving me to pick them all up.

"What was the call about? What trouble? Is anyone hurt?"

I turned back to see Mrs Bernard, our school principal staring at Jackson with a shocked look.

"What happened?" Mrs Bernard asked me with loving eyes. She was too motherly to be a principal.

After I took her out and explained something that had never happened, she was calling Mrs Whitesides. She believed me without a question about all the lies I was saying. So basically, a thief tried to steal his Ferrari and he caught him red handed. The thief beat him up mercilessly and ran away. After I added in some unnecessary specific details about the thief's looks, she stood there with understanding.

"We need to talk to Mrs Whitesides about filling a case, you need to be there as a vitness, I better call police" I was too shocked to respond.
Police?! Vitness?! Case?!
This has gone too far.  I need to tell Jackson the story before someone calls our bluff.

I ran into the office to the make shift bed where Jacky lay with a bandaged face. His wonds seemed much smaller compared to when it was bloodied. His eyes were closed and there was a big frown on his face. I felt so hurt looking at him on the bed like this. I wasn't scared or angry anymore.

I sat on the worn out chair next to him waiting for him to wake up. I put my head back in frustration and felt the pain in my back come again, before I could stop myself,  a loud groan escaped my mouth.

"Penny, are you okay? What hurts?"

I looked up and saw a worried Jacky looking me. It's kind of ridiculous considering the fact that his face is the one that looks like someone had used it as a punching bag.

"Have you looked at yourself?" I asked bitterly.

"Do I look that bad?" He asked genuinely hurt.

"You should consider plastic surgery..."

"Only if you want me to" he said with a stern face.

"You scared me out there! What were you thinking? You don't think, do you? You can't let anger control your actions. I had to lie about you being robbed to get you out of this mess, you owe me big time! You could have got yourself killed...considering the fact that he is stronger than you" I was murmuring the last part.

"Yeah I know but....wait...did you say that he's stronger than me?"

"Yeah I did, much stronger than you"

"Much stronger?...." he was daring me to repeat it, I was so ready.

"And cuter. And better. And hotter"
I was just trying to infuriate him and it was working. His eyes glowed red with anger...maybe, I took it too far.
I lunged forward and hugged him making sure I didn't hurt him

"I was so scared, please tell me you won't ever do that again" I said nuzzling in the crook of his neck. He stiffened at my contact and finally relaxed into my hug.

"I can't make promises I can't keep" he said pulling me closer. Anyone would have thought that we were together at this moment but we were not. We were just overly cheesy best friends.

"I hate you" I said pushing him away,  he leaned back on the cushion and smiled at me.

I really hope he finds someone that makes him happy. His happiness was so beautiful. He desrves a happy relationship and I didn't ever want to cause I rift in his relationships because of me being a girl.

"I see that you're awake"

Both of us turned to see Mrs Whitesides. She wore those elegant formal skirts that showed her beautiful curves. She looked like money. Her perfectly mainured nails and hair made me jealous.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" He sounded nervous and annoyed at the same time.

"The police are going to find that thief, sweety. We will make him pay for what he did" she didn't sound like a normal a mother, she sounded like a lawyer which indeed she was

"Mom, let it go.  I'm fine.

I really doubted it, he seemed disturbed.  I need to know what it was.