A chair appears behind me, most likely one of the nurses had placed it there. Taking Hazel's hand in mine, I place gentle kisses. Her eyes slightly open, filled with mixed emotions. Perhaps, I am imagining things, when I see something soft in them. 

By the time Lynn finishes, the sun is setting in the sky. Lynn groans as she plops down into a chair. One of the nurses brings her a cup of coffee to help soothe her nerves. 

"I am assuming that you know that Hazel is not of the pack's blood, correct?" Doctor Lynn asks after she takes a long sig of coffee. 

"It's been mentioned." 

She nods. "Midnight Pack." I look at her, in confusion. "If I remember correctly, that is where she belongs. 

"How do you know this?" 

Lynn looks out the window, cought up in a distant memory. "Adah blames Hazel for your mother's death. Even though, it was not her fault." Lynn brushes Hazel's hair out of her face. "Adah has felt that everything went wrong the second your mother found her in the forest. Mostly because, your mother passed away shortly after."

I guess in a way that makes sense but that still does not give my father the right to use that as justification for doing what he did. "My mother dying was a rare thing. How could Hazel have anything to do with that?" 

Lynn reaches over and pats my hand. "Your mother was a lovely sweet woman. One of the only people to ever stand up against your father when he was in the wrong. Adah never wanted your mother to care for Hazel. She wanted to raise Hazel as her own kid because by then, she was unable to have another child."

"My father did not want Hazel in the house." 

Lynn nods in agreement. "They started fighting after that, then the pack was attacked a couple of times, and then your mother passed away. So he blames all of that on Hazel. Even though, it was not her fault."

"Ugh." Hazel begins to move, groaning in pain. 

Lynn touches her shoulder, "Hazel, you should be okay to return to your room now." Lynn motions for me to help Hazel up. "Actually, carry her to her room please."

"Shouldn't she be lying down here for another day or so?" I slip my arms under Hazel and pick her up. 

Hazel groans. "She heals just as quickly as an alpha. No need for her to hang around here any longer." Lynn opens the door and shoos us out. 

"Hey." I give her a small smile. "How are you feeling?"

Her eyes open and I am welcomed with a glare. "How do you have the decency to ask that to someone who just received a whipping?" 

She has a point. "I am unsure of what you want me to say." By the time we make it half way through the yard, the sun has set behind the house. 

"You know, you can just put me down." Hazel pushes against my chest. "I can walk just fine on my own." 

"Hazel!"

She wiggles out of my arms and plumments to the ground. She groans as she takes a moment. "Damn." Her voice is quiet enough to make me strain my ears. I reach down to help her up, only to have her yank her arm out of my grasp. "I did not ask for help." 

"You obviously need the help." 

She shoots me another glare from the ground and stands up without a problem. Once we walk through the door to the pack house she makes a traight bee line for her chambers. 

"Help?" Unsure if she is talking to me or to herself, I decide to keep quiet. "DO you really see me as a weak wolf? One that needs your protection?" She whips around to face me with tears streaming down her face. "I was strong enough to take that punishment." 

Her eyes shoot toward my hand as I had attempted to reach out towards her. Instead, I just let it fall back to my side.  "I-I didn't mean it like that."

Hazel holds her head up high, opens her door and shuts it behind her. Leaving me standing out in the hall. 

~Hazel Lynn~

The night was restless. My back ached but it was no longer bleeding or even had the marks to show that I was whipped the day before. I don't even need a mirror to know that I look like a mess. My eyes are puffy and red, my hair is in knots. Now I am down a set of clothes due to my shirt being cut and my pants covered in blood. 

Well no matter, time to get up and do my chores. Not that I am prepared to deal with today. Nor am I ready to have to face Alpha Adah or Felix. This whole thing is now a bigger mess than it was when it all started. 

A hand grips my own as I walk outside, stopping me in my tracks. "Hazel, please." Felix stands there gripping my hand for dear life. The look on his face changes to anger, altering me that someone has appeared behind us. Judging by the look, I am sure it is the Alpha. 

"Let me go." He doesn't budge. "Felix." 

"What? You are not going with him." He pushes me behind him. "You are not taking her anywhere." He directs the words at his father. 

I step around him; he reaches for my hand again but I pull it out of his reach. "This is already a big mess. Please do not making it worse than it already is." 

With that, Felix drops his hands and I follow the Alpha into the pack house. 

****************

Edit on 11/19/2021

ItzaMe97

I am slowly but surely working on releasing the chapters back out. I have yet to decide if I will just do one chapter weekly or try for two. So, we shall see.