Part 60 - A Spectacular Rescue

Start from the beginning

The fighters were stood stock still, staring at us. I let out an impatient growl. "Well, what are you waiting for? Get them out of the cages and let's go home."

Tighter and tighter I wrapped the cloth to stop the bleeding. At one point Cassidy winced and Rhys began to growl at me, before pausing to decide whether he should side with his lifelong companion and big sister, or the mate he had met five minutes ago. I suppressed barely contained amusement. His newfound loyalty dilemma was interesting. Rhys getting all protective over someone who wasn't me or Fion was also kinda adorable.

Fion. I stopped thinking about how this would change things between Fion and Rhys before I had even begun. I would consider that when I wasn't exhausted and full of adrenaline.

Leo had found the keys. He tossed them to someone else and knelt down by my side. "She'll be okay?"

"Oh, yes. She'll take a while to heal, given that she isn't a—" I stopped suddenly, not sure if she even knew werewolves existed. The fight had taken place completely in human form, and there was a fair chance the slavers had never shifted in front of her. "Given that she isn't a, um, time traveller."

"What?" Cassidy asked, confirming my suspicions. She didn't have a clue what she had walked into, which would make it a hundred times harder for Rhys.

Rhys's usual grin returned. "Skye's a budding doctor. She likes to use fancy medical terms. Ignore her."

I glared at him. "Oh, yeah. Sure. My life ambition is to go to med school and spend the rest of my life healing people."

The sarcasm game was strong. Especially when I preferred being the one to inflict injuries and leave other people to repair the damage. Fortunately, I had kept my tone clipped enough that Cassidy didn't pick up on the hidden meaning.

"That's great. My mam was a doctor as well. What area do you plan to go into?" Cassidy was genuinely being nice, which made it harder to lie through my teeth.

"I was thinking vasectomy," I muttered, giving Rhys a particularly threatening look.

He shuffled uncomfortably and crossed his legs. Message received, loud and clear.

"Oh...okay. It's certainly useful, I guess." Cassidy sounded a little concerned for my mental well-being.

"Right, Cassie — can I call you Cassie?" I began.

"I suppose so."

"Good. You can wait in the car. I'm sure Rhys would be happy to show you where it is." I gave him a pointed look. Be nice to your mate. We're scaring her.

"Of course," Rhys replied. He sounded a mixture of nervous and excited.

Cassidy tried to stand up and swayed in place, probably from the blood loss. My brother slipped an arm under her shoulder and helped her walk out of the warehouse. I suspected he would end up carrying her before they'd got a hundred metres.

First bonus of Rhys finding his mate — he had someone else to carry. Maybe that meant I'd be allowed to use my own two feet a little more often. Leo didn't seem the type to carry me unless my life really depended on it. He respected my independence. I supposed that left Rhodric, but again, he would be more likely to laugh and tell me that if I could complain, I could damn well walk.

"Um Skye?" Leo asked. He had prodded my mind without me realising, picking up on my train of thought. "Rhys finds his mate, and all you're thinking about is how it will affect your chances of being carried. I'm not sure if I should laugh or be worried..."

"I really hate being carried," I mumbled as a way of explanation.

"Oh, I know. I tried to pick you up after the tree fell on your leg, and you nearly took my head off," he laughed.