Nobody's Angel: Ch. 12 {A Vampire Romance}

Damn, this was harder than I thought it would be. I was so scared. What if I tripped? What if they thought I wasn’t pretty enough? What if I made a bad impression and was shunned from the entire vampire race except for the Valdez family? Deep breaths, Eva. Calm down.

When we had gotten back to the house, Seth and I had each gone to separate rooms to get ready for the ball tonight. Actually, ball sounded too medieval, so I just called it a party. Anyway, I went up to our room, where Kenya and Z were waiting. I had no idea what kind of beauty routine could fill five hours, but I didn’t argue as they started right away.

“You’re tense,” Kenya stated as Z was looking through the different scented bath bubbles.

“Yeah, something happened,” I whispered. I felt like these girls were my best friends, but I didn’t know if they felt the same way about me. Of course they didn't even compare to Elena and Cassie, but they were easy to talk to.

“We do,” they chorused. “Queen Sarah chose us very carefully, making sure that we’re vampires you would be able to get along with easily,” Kenya explained.

“So, what happened?” Z asked gently, filling the bathtub with warm water.

“Well,” I sighed, “this is probably going to sound really bad, but I was thinking about leaving.” Both their head snapped to my face, which was arranged into a solemn expression.

“Go on,” Z encouraged when I didn’t say anything else. I was surprised at the gentleness of her tone, which encouraged me to continue.

“It’s just, one of the interviewers asked me what my dreams had been before I met Seth, and-”

“Katie,” Kenya spat, as if there was sand in her mouth. “She’s always trying to pry into personal lives, especially the royalties. Don’t be surprised if I’m really nice in the morning, then moody in the afternoon. It’ll be because she came up to me and probably tried to get dirt on you. You’re going to be her main focus point, so don’t feel pressured to give her any information you don’t want to.”

I smiled. “Thanks for the heads up.”

“No problem.”

“So, everything just came back to you, didn’t it?” Z sighed.

“Yeah, it did. I had so many dreams. I wanted to find a cure for cancer, or become a professional dancer. I wanted to live in the middle of nowhere with an amazing husband, who I would chose myself, with a couple of babies and some dogs.

“When I get an idea, I have to think of a plan and look at everything, try to find a flaw. There were obviously a lot, but I looked past all of them and just imagined how my life would play out if I somehow got out of here. I had been thinking about going to a city and joining a gang or something and finding a husband down there. I figured it would almost be the same, just I would be on the streets instead of school or college. It’s not like we would have a load of money, so my life would be really simple and nice.

“Well, when we got out of there, Seth freaked and started crying and begging me to stay with him. I felt really bad for making him cry, so I comforted him until he pulled himself back together. When we got to the limo, though, he turned to me and I quote, ‘I need you more than you could ever imagine.’ What am I supposed to say to that? So all I said was ‘I’m sorry’ and I’m really hoping he didn’t take it the wrong way, like I’m sorry, but I hate you and I’m getting out of this hellhole as soon as possible, because that’s not what I meant. I just meant that I’m sorry for making you hurt, but this is my choice. I’m sorry for making you cry and I’m sorry for anything that’s going to happen in the future, but I’m not sorry for the choices that I make.” I took a deep breath. “Did that make sense?”