Nobody's Angel: Prologue

- Shaanxi, China; January 23, 1556

  Shaanxi, China was in ruins: bloodshed coated the city in a glaze of crimson; any kind of structure eventually crumbled to the ground; fires raged on, the smoke billowing in the air like a beacon for help; limbs were strewn across the streets, dismantled from bodies. In the distance, thunder rumbled, roaring its ominous warning of the storm to come.

  One girl stood in the middle of it all, looking around at what she had done. Her thirst tickled the back of her throat once again as she spotted a survivor. It was a mere ten-year-old boy, cowering in the rubble. She shot over to him, faster than a human eye could see. The boy didn't stand a chance once she had selected him as her prey. The blonde waited until fear entered his eyes before sinking her fangs into his neck. When his arm came up in protest, she ripped it off, welcoming his agonized screams. His body fell limp in her arms. She pulled back, her lips now a vibrant red that would no doubt draw attention to her when she entered Beijing, China's capital and also her next destination.

  With one more look around, she flipped her beautiful blonde hair over her shoulder and straightened her dress, wondering when her mate would join her.

  Come and get me, Owen she thought out to him, knowing her message would reach him in no time. I'm getting lonely. While she waited for him, she decided she would walk around the town to check for other unfortunate stragglers. After only a couple of steps, though, her thirst returned with full force. She gasped, still not believing the intensity of her new body's demands, even after she had fed so recently. Impatient, she gave up on her leisurely walk and ran as fast as she could to Beijing, despite her stiletto heels. A few miles into her journey, she caught sight of three boys chasing her. Noticing their tan skin in contrast to her pale one, she fled towards the woods in hopes of losing them with her winding course; a small town would do after she lost those traitors.

  Lightning from the upcoming storm illuminated the scene she had made, and the leader of the three, appropriately positioned in the middle of the trio, snarled in fury at her actions, running even faster and quickly gaining on her. His black hair covered his green eyes, but she knew they were filled with more hate and disgust than they ever had been when he had looked at her.

  The two other parts of his nexus number now flanked him, making the girl's stomach drop in fear. They were her worst nightmare. When it was her against these certain three boys, she knew she didn't stand a chance.

With a ferocious boom, rain began to pour from the sky. The dark clouds pressed close to the ground, as if they wanted to get a front row set of the events that were no doubt about to unfold and make gruesome history.

  The brunette and blonde boys were suddenly holding her arms behind her back, restraining her. She snarled in protest, her teeth glinting at them in a threat she knew she couldn't back up. She did everything in her power to get away, but they held her as well as if their hands had been iron shackles that not even a newborn vampire could break. The one that hated her most stalked up to her, his features drenched with spite not unlike the rain that now soaked his slick hair, droplets trickling off the ends. Another flash of lightning lit up his face, twisted in disdain. His red shirt stuck to his tanned skin, emphasizing his muscles.

  "Please, no!" the girl pleaded, knowing that begging was her only option at this point.

  "Did you listen to any of those people that said the exact same thing to you?" he retorted icily, referring to the now considerably lessened population of Shaanxi. He placed his hands around her throat.

  "OWEN!" she screeched, her red eyes crazed, scared, and bloodthirsty, always thirsty. "OWEN!" The boy flinched before doing what he knew he had to do. His best friends and adopted brothers looked at him with empathy, knowing this was killing him on the inside. He didn't like doing what was needed, but he would for the protection of the human race. The scream that filled his ears was almost unbearable if it hadn't come from such an sinful mouth, housing two fangs that had overstepped their boundaries.