Share a Coke

Mark stood with his mom staring into the room of kids his age with an expression of horror twisted across his face. These kids! They were running around and screaming and completely insane. "Mom I don't want to go to this school."

His mom just looked down at him and smiled sadly, "I know, honey, but this is good for you. You'll learn to like it." Mark just made a face and looked back at everyone. There was only one other kid who wasn't running around. He was with him mommy, too. He looked like he was crying, Mark stared, blatantly trying to listen to their conversation.

The boy begged his mom. He sounded funny, "Please! Ma I wanna go home!"

His mom just shook her head, "This our home now. I'm sorry."

The boy just turned his back to his mom and mumbled an 'I love you'. His mom messed up his hair, lovingly and gave him a kiss on the top of his head before leaving. His mom was doing the same to him before gently handing him a paper bag with his lunch in it. She knelt down to eye level with him, "Now tell me how old you are and that you'll be a good big boy for mommy."

Mark smiled and puffed his chest, "I'm 6 and I will be!"

"Good, I love you, sweetie. I'll be back to pick you up. Be good." Mark watched his mom leave and the second she was gone went back to looking around the class of screaming kids. It was horrifying. The teacher clapped her hands together silencing the class. The kids all scurried to find their seats leaving only Mark and the other boy standing awkwardly.

"Now, class, we have two new students today!" She said walking back to them and leading the two of them to the two empty seats in the back of the room. On the top of the desk was his name, he looked at the boy next to him to see his name, 'Sean', "You know what that means?"

"MEET AND GREET!" The class shouted. Mark looked around as if everyone had three eyes. The boy next to him, Sean, sunk into his seat.

"That's right," she said laying a hand on his desk, "would you stand and tell the class about yourself?"

Mark nodded a little and stood. "I'm Mark....I'm new here. I used to go to a private school but then my daddy moved us to Ohio and here I am. I like video games!" The class snickered at his last comment, Sean looked at him with a small smile. Mark looked to the teacher, she smiled and told him he could sit. She looked to Sean who stood.

He seemed very small even though he almost as tall if Mark, it had to be how thin he was. He looked very nervous. "Hi, I'm Sean but everyone calls me Jack," that's all farther he got before the class started laughing.

"He sounds like Lucky Charms!" a boy at the front shouted making the class laugh harder. Jack looked down and Mark looked around the class. They were very mean. Jack just slid back into his seat wordlessly and the teacher yelled at the class to quiet down.

When the class calmed the teacher started class and Mark leaned over to Jack, "I'd like to hear what you were going to say," he whispered. Jack gave him a suspicious look. Mark got a great idea and pulled his lunch bag up and looked through it. He pulled out a can of soda, it was a treat for the first day of school. He slid it to the boy, he looked confused. "Read it! Then you'll know you can trust me!"

Jack picked up the can of Coke and smiled.

"Are we friends?" Jack whispered. Mark nodded his head and suddenly Jack was smiling so big it looked like it would hurt. "Ok! I'm Jack and I moved here from Ireland and now I'm here and it's scary and different and I haven't had a friend since I moved!"

"Boys, quiet!" The teacher yelled. They both smirked as they quieted down. Jack leaned over after a few minutes.

"I like video games, too. We can share the fizzy."