Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Zack

Well, that’s just lovely. Indestructible iron men that are out to kill us, stranded on an islandthat’s primed to self-destruct at any moment with no supplies or help on the way, an evil dude that wants to drink our blood, and we’re sacrificing comfort and pleasure for a mission to kill a man that’s virtually immortal. It’s a lot take in all before nine o’clock.

That’s all great. But the one thing that really worries me though, is Dylan.

He used to be the one to calm me, the hot-tempered maniac. We were friends right from the start, despite being so different. He was levelheaded and composed; always collected. Me; I was the crazy maniac who couldn’t concentrate. That’s why we worked as friends. I was the one that would pep him up with fanatical energy and he kept me calm as needed. He was the most soothing person I’ve ever met.

I say was because it’s true. That serene, levelheaded Dylan is history. He now looks maniacal, feral, and dangerous. Not to be trusted, but to be feared and cautioned. No longer my best friend. No I realize I don’t truly think that. I know that the old Dylan is under there somewhere, I just need to have the courage to bring him back.

But if the ferrum homiones are ruthless as to unhinge Dylan, will we live long enough to console him? As I have no idea, I think it’s just best to go with the old Zack standby. I’ll wing it, of course.

“Okay,” I announce. “First thing we have to do: calm down; especially you Dylan. We’re relying on you.” I pause, waiting for him to say something, or at least acknowledge that he heard me, but when he says nothing, I continue. “Second thing: prioritize. We need a plan to defeat them. Fleeing isn’t an option, as they’ll just pursue us through the earth anyway.”

“Fine,” Dylan snaps. “But I’m not the one who needs to calm down, Hot-Head.” I look at him in disbelief, and then decide to drop it. That’s Willow’s nickname for me, and I guess I’ve gotten used to it, but when Dylan says it, it stings.

“Hey guys,” Willow interrupts. “Why don’t you shut up so we can make the plan?”

“Why don’t we just have Willow levitate us in the air and then fly us out of range of the homiones?” Thalia proposes. It seems like a pretty good plan to me, but Willow shakes her head.

“We can’t evade them indefinitely. I could barely fly Zack and you for five hundred yards. I fainted from exhaustion afterwards, remember? Besides, hovering is much harder than just regular flying.”

Then the rare light-bulb flickers over my head, and suddenly I have an idea. “Hey, why doesn’t Dylan tell me whenever he senses the fair Hermione’s coming up through the ground, and I’ll melt them? That should work; they’re iron right?” I suggest excitedly.

We all glance at Grace hopefully. She shakes her head, and my heart drops down to my stomach. I thought it was a good plan.

Ferrum homiones will reform no matter what state they’re in.” She explains gloomily. “Unless we separate their essences enough they’ll just keep reforming until they win. Besides Zack, this isn’t a one-man show.” She adds reproachfully.

“What if I wash them away in a tidal pool or something?” Thalia offers.

Grace considers this. “Fine,” she says rigidly. “Just stay alive.”

Dylan tenses. “They’re coming.”

The ground trembles and splits open. Evidently, Omnia has decided to break up our little organization session. Silver-colored hands claw their way up from the earth. When they’re all surfaced, there is an even dozen. They’re each about seven feet tall with glowing rubies for eyes. They have smooth, plated iron for skin that looks nearly impossible to penetrate. I realize I’m just about trembling to pieces.