Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Dylan

So Grace can fly a plane. Now, I don’t exactly know a lot about airports, but I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to just give somebody a plane. I’m sure he thinks he’ll get it back, but I’m guessing he won’t.

Grace sits in the cockpit, Willow and Thalia sit next to each other in front, and Zack goes to the back of the plane, so I join him.

“Hey.” I greet.

“Hi.” He says, staring blankly out the window. “Dylan, I’ve got a question.”

I shrug. “Shoot.”

“Do—do you think we’ll, you know, beat Omnia?”

His question takes me by surprise. I don’t want to say something like “Heck, no!” but I also can’t say “Of course!” because that would be lying.

I sigh. “Honestly, I have no clue. I don’t know how he works, if he’ll stand a chance, or if we do. All I know is that if we don’t at least try, everyone we know, the whole world, will go down under in hurricanes, volcanoes, and things I don’t even want to think about.”

Well I’m sure that helped. Zack doesn’t respond and continues staring out the window.

“I’m gonna go check on Grace.” I say, breaking the silence. He nods and I make my way to the front or the plane.

I walk through the door to find Grace sucking out of a coffee cup, staring forward and appearing to not be blinking.

“Grace,” I say cautiously. “How are you doing?”

“Great.” She responds instantly. “Never better. I’m flying a plane through a dangerous area and I’m on my sixth coffee and I’m super tired and I was just on a plane for four hours next to a smelly kid and a man who kept trying to sniff my hair and now I’m flying a plane over the pacific ocean and I’m scared to death and we’re all gonna die and, and…”

“Grace!” I scold. “Get a hold of yourself!”

“Sorry,” she apologizes.

I’m about to ask where she learned to fly, but a scream comes from the front seat that no doubt belongs to Willow.