Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Willow

“I can’t believe it!” Thalia shouts as soon as we’re outside. “I traveled two thousand, eight hundred and eight miles just to run into battle an immortal. What if I die? What if we corner him, but there’s no way to actually kill him?” She’s practically hyperventilating now.

“Thalia, calm down,” I soothe. “It’ll be okay. You may not see it now, but Grace is brilliant. She’ll figure out a way to heal us if we get hurt.”

“She’d better.” Thalia mumbles fiercely.

I like Thalia’s spirit, but she’s a bit of a hot-head; which is funny as she’s a water Elemental. She’d be good in a fight, but her anger might drive her into distraction.

We trudge off to training. For today it’s a bit of a review for us, but it’s new to Thalia. We only practice our own weapons today, getting the feel of what’s it’s like to move around in full battle armor and fight dummies and each other at the same time. Dylan wasn’t kidding. The girl can hit skewer the dummy through the heart and slice the first arrow in half with a second.

We go to bed, rise, eat breakfast in silence, and then head off to training. We each try different a different weapon each day, as it’s possible that we won’t always be able to have our favorite weapon at hand.

After a week, it’s obvious to tell that Thalia is dying to use her element. She’s practically bouncing with excitement when Grace announces that today is an Elemental day, but is less enthusiastic when Grace says that she will be overseeing today’s training.

“Dylan and Zack, you two will duel while Willow and Thalia duel.” She announces. “The winner of each duel will then compete in a championship of sorts. The winner doesn’t have to do chores for a week.”

Dylan, Zack and I chatter excitedly, but Thalia looks worried.

“Aren’t you actually going to teach me first?” she asks reproachfully. “What if I hurt them?”

Grace just smiles. “I believe on learning on the job, and as for injuries, you haven’t seen what Elemental healing can do.”

Thalia grunts and trudges out the door grumpily. Grace shrugs and ushers us off after her.

When we get to the training rink, which is like a normal high school gymnasium only it’s lined with shields and weapons and is about twice the size. It takes up the whole third floor of the mansion, we divide into pairs (Zack and Dylan, Thalia and I.) and set up the duel mats and Zack and Dylan (They are to go first) step up onto the mats and wait for Grace’s signal.

“Begin,” Grace declares.

They fight so fast it’s unbelievable. I grin at the amazement on Thalia’s face. Then I focus my attention back on the duel.

Dylan is shooting rocks out of his hands at Zack. Zack burns them to a crisp with tongues of flame. Then, taking the offensive approach, Zack begins to make lava flow around Dylan and then attacks with jets of fire. Dylan makes a rock wall to defend himself but Zack bakes it until it’s cracked and it crumbles underneath Dylan. Dylan quickly makes a ton of fresh soil underneath Zack and makes a tree wrap and twist and grow around him. Zack turns himself white-hot until the tree dissolves to ash at his feet. Then, he looks at the boxing bag right above Dylan’s head. He distracts Dylan with a stream of lava while with the other hand blowtorching the chain suspending the boxing bag to the ceiling. The chain glows orange and then snaps. The bag lands right on Dylan’s head knocking him out.

This all happens in less than five minutes.

“Zack wins!” Zack hollers cockily as he gulps down some water.

Dylan’s dark brown skin now has a large red welt on it. Thalia looks concerned as Grace walks over. “Will he be okay?” She asks anxiously.

“He’ll be fine.” Grace states unconcernedly. “Why don’t you spray some water on him to wake him up?”

Thalia gulps and shakily turns to Dylan. She closes her eyes a moment and then directs a large block of ice right on his face.