Chapter 4

Chapter4

Dylan

Nightmares are terrible tonight, as usual. But this time, a girl with beautiful blue-green eyes and stunning blonde hair is added to the mixture; Thalia. She fights just as well as all the others, sending pummeling waves and arrows of water at Willow and Zack.

They’re all fighting. The carnage is unbelievable, even in a dream. We seem to be in some downtown busy Sacramento street. Zack has a flaming sword that he is yielding while lava flows from underneath his feet. Willow too, is showing great skill sending flying daggers whistling through the air as she spins around in her own personal tornado. Then I realize, they’re not just fighting, they’re fighting each other. And I’m in the middle of everything.

“Stop!” I plead desperately. “You’re all friends!”

Then all of the Elementals come together and their elements are touching one another. Instantly, it creates enormous fire hurricane. It has swirling winds and pounding rains with flames licking up the sides. In other words; I’m screwed.

Instinctively, forgetting I’m dreaming, I send up a humongous mountain the size of Mount Everest to stop the destruction. Instead of stopping them, the moment it touches the mountain, all the elements unite, and a huge explosion rips me from my dreams.

I wake up, panting and soaked in perspiration. The sight of my awesome room calms me. I share with Zack (unfortunately) but it’s still pretty freaking epic.

It looks like we’re on the inside of a volcano with our beds in rock alcoves and stalactites and stalagmites hanging from the floor and ceiling. Lava oozes from the side of the far wall, by Zack.

I take a deep breath and tell myself it was just a dream. But was it? It seemed so vivid. I give myself a little shake. I’m just being paranoid, that’s all. I lay myself back in bed, but I don’t find sleep again until dawn.

Grace rouses us at six the next morning, telling us this is a big day for training, as we now have all the elements. She sounds excited, but after last night’s dream, I’m dreading training.

As I walk down for breakfast, I steel myself to them about my dream. But as the aroma of food wafts in front of my nostrils, I forget the thought.

I saunter in the dining room. Grace has everything picture-perfect. She’s obviously trying to impress Thalia.

There is a breakfast buffet loaded with sausages, ham, eggs, bacon, waffles, pancakes, and pretty much any breakfast food there is. I pile my plate with a bit of everything and amble over to the dining table.

The air is so tense; it seems electrically charged, which is totally possible, considering Willow’s powers. You could cut the sudden hush with a knife, it’s so thick.

“Um,” I greet awkwardly, trying to break the silence. “Good morning.”

“Hi!” replies Grace brightly, obviously trying to keep things light. “Dig in!”

For a moment there is no sound but the clink of knives and forks. I’ve shoveled about halfway through my plate when I remember to breathe. Then I realize all eyes are on me. “What?” I say defensively.

“You were thrashing all night in your sleep, man,” Zack informs concernedly. “You were screaming like ‘Stop guys! Let’s be friends!’ Do you have like a bullying problem or something? Well, that was what I thought until you equipped a new mountain in our room. It’s pretty cool, actually, but it’s a little inconvenient.”

“Oh,” I mumble blushing fiercely. “I had nightmares last night.”

Willow pauses from stuffing her face with muffins. “About…?”

“Oh it’s nothing,” I mutter. “Just a dream.”

“No, let’s hear about it.” argues Grace. “Sometimes dreams can be prophetic or useful, especially for Elementals.”

“W-well,” I stammer. “Okay. We were in downtown someplace and you three were fighting.” I gesture to Willow, Zack and Thalia. I gulp. “It was horrible. Complete destruction. First, you guys were just fighting with your weapons and elements, but then you started going hand-to-hand. You created a fire hurricane. And I was the only one standing between you and thousands of innocent people, so I put up a rock wall— I think that part might have been real— and then you guys rammed into it, and t-there was this huge explosion.” I look at Grace hopefully. “That could never happen right?” I inquire urgently.

She pecks at her eggs. “I don’t know about explosion, but…” she trails off. “I don’t think you guys know how powerful you really are. Separate you guys are good, together you guys are incredible. If all of your elements mix… I don’t know. If you’re trying to fight it would be terribly devastating. If you work together, it would be terribly devastating for Omnia. If my logic is correct, you could combine your powers in combinations. For example, if Willow and Dylan were to mix their powers, they would make a sandstorm; if Willow and Thalia were to mix their powers it would make a tsunami; if Dylan and Zack mixed their powers it would make a volcano. The point being that there are combinations. A combination of all four would be… annihilation at best.” She bites her lip. “We can’t worry about that now. We just have to train.”

“Hey, um, one more thing;” We turn back around at the call of her anxious voice. “Um, Thalia, the others already know but…” she looks worried. “Omnia’s i-immortal.”

Willow nods, but Thalia looks furious. “What the heck? Grace, how are we going to kill a guy that’s immortal? It’s a death trap!” she shouts suddenly fierce.

Grace’s face hardens. “I know what I’m talking about, Thalia. Now you best out to training, or you’ll run five miles.”

Muttering obscenities under her breath, Thalia stomps from the room.