THIRTY-FIVE: A HEART TO DIE FOR

[thirty-four]

Here's our first look at Maya! A lovely reader by the name of @movieandbookgirl asked me for a visual of Maya

Here's our first look at Maya! A lovely reader by the name of @movieandbookgirl asked me for a visual of Maya. No one fit my description of her until I stumbled upon this picture just last night. This is as close as it's going to get to fitting my vision.

We were human again.

But I felt just like the cold air.Stiff,emotionless.

I could hear them all.All his slaves moaning.All their heartbeats,calm, beating to the rhythm of one man.Damon.

We had discovered a large hole, a hollow space carved out. We just needed to strike the source,their master.

The mist was white. But with each half-ling I encountered, claws digging deep into their flesh, red became its color. Dots of blood particles flying all around, thickening the mist adding to the haze in front of my eyes and in my mind.

Avoiding their bite, avoiding the same damnation that had fallen upon them I thought I was letting them go to a better place. Each red eye indistinguishable from the other. They were all the same now.

But if I bonded with Damon, if I surrendered to him, wouldn't they all go back to being normal. They would become people again, with minds of their own, beliefs of their own. They could be free again.

However, I wasn't interested anymore and I couldn't be certain that's what they'd want. I couldn't be certain that I cared enough.After spending so much time, unable to speak coherently, they really were wild.

It was a struggle for me. I watched as the girl I'd just engaged lost all her discolored features. Her true skin color only returning a little, as the tufts of fur receded and her eyes came back to a dead brown. She was shorter than myself, hair stubbed. I'd stopped unconsciously staring down at her lax features wondering what it would have been like to talk to her. To tell her that her sacrifice was necessary. I wasn't sorry to admit in my mind that I couldn't give myself to Damon. The world would be worse off in his hands and she and all those like her would have to die to protect what little we had now.

I stood up,forgetting the girl, blood stinging my eyes, my ears. It surrounded all my senses. I was exhausted from the pillage but no less determined.

I paused as the onslaught of hunched,crippled figures with uncontrollable rage and undeterred exertion was no more. The red and white mist of the landscape seemed empty.

My breathing slowed as I concentrated on where Gideon was but I couldn't tell properly. I moved to my right, my hand grazing the thin tree in front,nails taking bark with it.

I didn't want to take the risk of calling out to him. We agreed to stay silent. Although I couldn't remember what he looked like. He, Gideon and I were the only ones who could transform completely.It wouldn't be hard to tell him apart.