8

"I'm glad to see you're back on your feet!" Bellemere smiles as Nami gives you a basket of freshly picked oranges. It's been a few days since you woke up, but today Law finally let you go out to walk around the village. Apparently he was concerned about the possible lingering poison in your blood stream. Such a worry wort.

"Everyone seems glad, I didn't notice how much my health means to everyone." You say sheepishly.

"Of course it does, especially Law. I never seen him so worried before." She winks nudging you. "I had my suspicions but now I'm sure he likes you."

"Now you're sure? It's so obvious mum!" Nami scolds her. You blink and blush heavily while Bellemere giggles.

"Look how red you've made her!" Bellemere giggles.

"That is red yoi." A man comments leaning to peer at your face. You and the girls stiffen, blinking at the stranger.

"Who are you?" You growl shielding the girls and touching your sword hilt. He blinks, interest flashing in his eyes.

"Defeat me and I'll tell you." He smirks. You blink and shift.

"Get back you three." You order drawing your sword. They swiftly get back up at that. The man draws his sword and waits for you to attack. You shift, letting out a breath and lunging. He deflects your attack and you both feel a shockwave from the clash. You blink in surprise. The man simply smiles.

"You win," He rumbles straightening up, nearly making you fall. You sheath your sword as he does. "My name is Marco, I wish to speak with you in the presence of your guardian." He states.

"Okay... I'll go call for Smoker," You tell him starting for the forest.

"I meant the village guardian," He says.

"You said my guardian, Smoker counts." You respond with a shrug. He blinks raising an eyebrow.

"Alright, meet me at the shrine once you get Smoker." He says walking away. You nod glancing back at him. You didn't know who he was but you were compelled to listen to him. With a shrug you reach the treeline and howl for him.

After a bit the wolf appears forehead pressing into your stomach in an affectionate greeting. You giggle and hug his neck. "Hey big guy, some man just showed up and wants to talk to us." You tell him. He raises his head, raising a wolf brow. You offer a shrug in response before leading him toward the shrine.

You reach it and pause, meeting the village guardian's gaze. Before you could stop yourself you go over and hug the guardian's neck. The tiger straightens in surprise. You pull away patting his big head. "You're not so bad..." You huff before turning to Marco. "Now what do you want?" You ask.

"The Forest Guardian brought you back from the brink of death, and although he doesn't ask for favors from humans he has saved, but an obvious problem has come to our attention." Marco rumbles.

"What do you mean?" You ask tilting your head.

"That poison that killed you, was meant for guardian. It's guardian killing poison that has been used a few times to remove a village guardian. Permanently." He says. You pale slightly, subconsciously touching the tiger's shoulder. "Since you survived, you're immune to the poison. Therefore, The Forest Guardian wants you to find out who is making that poison and stop them."

Smoker and the tiger growl at that. "I'm aware of your concern, that's why I was going to assign a guardian to her, but seeing as she has one-" he motions to Smoker but the tiger growls loudly, bristling a bit. You just blink in confusion. Marco blinks at the tiger calmly.

"You can't, you're the village guardian-" The tiger seems to interrupt him again. Marco straightens in surprise at something the tiger says as Smoker perks his ears at the tiger, rumbling to Marco as well. Marco looks between the two then you. "Very well, your village guardian shall come with you for the journey," He tells you.

"What about the village?" You gasp, looking at the tiger.

"Smoker has agreed to watch over the village while you two are away." Marco assures. You relax at that.

"Alright, I guess we'll leave tonight..." You murmur glancing at the tiger.

"Thank you. The Forest Guardian will be thankful." Marco rumbles with a bow. You nod and head back to village.

"I'm going with you." Law decides, turning to head out but you swiftly grab his arm.

"No Law you're the only doctor here, you need to stay." You point out. Law looks back at you slightly pained as he meets your gaze, suddenly pulling you into a tight hug.

"But... What if you need me?... I... I don't want to lose you...." He murmurs shaking slightly. You blink and hug him just as tight.

"I'll be okay Law, the village guardian will be with me... I'll be back before you know it." You assure softly. He relaxes and pulls back, cupping your cheek. You blush, remembering what Bellemere said.

"I'll be waiting for your return.... Please be careful out there... And you better come back in one piece," He breathes kissing your temple. You relax and offering a smile.

"See you later Law." You breathe as you start packing. He leaves briefly before bringing you a pouch of medicine and bandages. You blink and smile taking it and hugging him before heading out. The tiger meets you at the treeline.

"Alright Stripey, let's go find those bandits, I bet they're gonna love seeing us." You breathe starting off.