1

It was that time of year again, when the village would round up all the sake to take it the shrine of the village guardian. The great tiger. It was a tradition you always followed. However, this year you felt too old to believe in the great guardian. After all, how can he protect when he's drunk?
"Hm? You're not adding your special sake ___?" Law comments, raising an eyebrow at the red clay jug you always sent.
"Not like the 'guardian' is gonna miss it," You point out.
"I suppose you have a point... But I thought you really believed in the guardian," He points out.
"Oh yeah, because he sure did protect me," You remark, moving open your yukata to brandish the three month old scar. Law frowns at the sight, he hated that scar. You straighten your robe again. "Besides, its not like my sake is anything special," You add, turning away to your stove again. "Dumplings?"
"Sure," He says, "I can't stay long, I'm to help bring in the tribute," He informs you skewer the dumplings and apply the glaze before presenting it to him.
"Neither can I, I need more ingredients to make a new sake," You muse with a smirk as he takes it and eats.
"Mm, finally figured out what you were missing?" He guesses. You nod as make yourself some dumplings.
"I'll have you try it once it's done," You tell him.
"Sounds good, take care ___," He says before going out. You smile and eat your dumplings before grabbing your sword and satchel before heading out. You walk into the forest opposite of where the shrine was located, you will be the only villager that won't be paying tribute.
"Guardian my ass," You mutter as you venture into the forest, stopping briefly to give a howl. You wait until the large silver wolf appears. "Hey Smoker, keep me company for a bit," You tell the wolf, starting deeper into the forest. The wolf has been your traveling buddy for some time now, often showing up when you were off alone. "You're more of a guardian than some drunk tiger," You snort to the wolf as you collect some berries. Smoker just huffs as he looks around for any trouble.
You spend most of the day collecting ingredients before deciding to set against a tree to split your bento with the wolf. "So tired, think I'll take a nap," You yawn with a stretch. You pat your leg. "Wanna nap with me Smoker?" you muse. The wolf comes over and lays across your lap. You run your hands over his silver pelt before slowly drifting off.

Smoker sits up, glancing toward the setting sun before standing and nudging you. You let out a hum and yawn. "What is it Smoker?" You ask, stretching a bit. He turns his head to the sun. "Oh, better hurry then," You muse, getting up. With that you and the wolf hurry back for town. He stops at the outskirts and you turn to him, placing a kiss on top of the wolf's head. "Thanks for escorting me my little guardian," You murmur as you pull back. The wolf's ears flicker about briefly before nodding and disappearing into the forest.
You start back for your home, pausing when you see Law standing near the door, he seemed uneasy about something. "Something wrong Law?" You ask when he spots you. He glances toward the forest where the shrine was located.
"Can I come in?" He inquires. You open the door and gesturing for him to go in.
"Of course Law," You say with a smile. He goes in and you follow after, closing the door and walking into the kitchen to unload the ingredients. "What's wrong?" You add.
"I... Think I saw him..." Law murmurs uncertainly. You stop sorting ingredients and turn to him, raising an eyebrow.
"Pardon?" You ask. He rubs his temple.
"Everyone saw him peer out of the shrine..." Law comments. You look at him dubiously.
"The 'guardian'?" You huff, still looking at him dubiously.
"You know I never really believed in it... But something pretty large was in the shrine... And that presence...." He says, shaking his head. You put your hand on his forehead and he pauses.
"You're pretty warm, maybe you should lay down... You can sleep in the guest room if you like," You tell him.
"You really don't believe anymore huh?..... I'm fine, but maybe I am getting a bit sick..." He muses, standing up. He gives you a hug before heading for the door. "Don't stay up too late ___," He says before going out. You blink at the door and shake your head. What an odd guy. After putting up your ingredients you head to bed. You were almost fully asleep when something catches your ear, waking you. You sit up on your futon and grab your sword, listening carefully.
'Someone's in my house,' You realize before getting up. You unsheath your blade silently and creep toward the kitchen where shuffling could be heard. Your sword glints before flash around the corner and lunge at the intruder. His sword, grinds against yours, grey eyes boring into yours before knocking you back.
"Who are you!?" You demand. He shifts, meeting your glare before leaping out the open window. You go to the window as the man disappears. You relax a bit and shut the window before turning on a lamp to see if anything was missing. The only thing you found was your sake jug on the floor completely empty. "My home was invaded for sake?... Village guardian my ass... More like village drunk... Can't even keep intruders out..." You grumble, unable to go back to sleep, so you decide to make more sake.