Prologue

Running.

That has been all I've been doing for the past ten years since my parents died. You get kind of sick of it after a while, like eating the same foods over and over again. But unlike food, I can't just switch it up.

My survival is dependent on how fast and far I run. I don't have an option at this point.

I'm sorry, apologize for my little spiel there. I kind of forget to introduce myself. My name is Gina, I am 16 years old, and I've been running my whole life.

Not as a sport, mind you. For survival. But I think you know that already, right?

Why are you running? You might ask. In that case, let me tell you a story. It isn't a happy one.

Once upon a time, there was a little girl who had parents. Yeah, yeah I know, cliche and all that jazz. But you wanted to know, right? Anyway, she used to be very happy. Her parents were the type of parents that would do anything for her happiness, even risk their own life.

They did just that.

One evening ten years ago, her and her parents were sitting to a delicious dinner of the little girl's favorite dishes. And as they were eating, gunshots suddenly rang around the mansion. The father jumped up from the table and dashed out to confront the killer, while her mother took her daughter to hide somewhere safe.

The little girl didn't remember much about that night, except she saw a light for a split second and she suddenly didn't feel the warmth of her mother next to her.

~*Flashback*~

"Mommy? Daddy?" Six-year old Gina called out in the darkness of the closet. The mansion was cloaked with an empty silence, and that wasn't normal. Will all of her little strength, she pushed the closet door open, making it creak open.

The bathroom floor was strangely wet, and Gina didn't remember taking a bath that night. She later realized she was stepping in her parent's blood.

The house was dark and scary, and Gina didn't like the dark one bit. She wanted to find her Mommy and Daddy so that they could keep her safe from the monsters under her bed.

"Mommy?" She peeked into her parent's room, but she wasn't  in there. "Daddy?" She poked her head in her father's study, but he wasn't in there, either.

"Miss Gina?" The butler's gentle voice called out to the girl. She turned around and saw the old man. There was a sad smile on  his wise face.

"Where is Mommy and Daddy?" Gina asked the butler. The innocent question broke his heart, he couldn't bear to tell her the news. She was too young to know the circumstances.

"They are in Heaven, honey. They send their greetings to you."

"Can't we see them in Heaven?"

"No, we can't see them from Heaven, but they can see you."

"But I want to see Mommy and Daddy." Gina's eyes welled up with tears. Her parents didn't leave her, did they? They promised they wouldn't leave her!

"I'm sorry sweetheart. Why don't we go outside to play in the moon?" The old butler offered, and Gina wiped her tears with the back of her hand, held the butler's wrinkled hand and walked out to the front porch. Outside, there was pandemonium. Police cars were lined up and down the street, ambulances parked on the side, and Gina's relatives that she had never seen in a long time crying into hankies.

"Why are there so many people? Is this a surprise party?" Gina asked the butler happily, and he nodded his head. "I reckon so."

Out of the corner of her eye, there were policemen and paramedics entering the house. "Why are those people going inside? We didn't invite them!"

"They are just doing their job, honey."

"What kind of job?"

"A job that you might not want to know about right now." The butler said softly, looking down at the ground. All of a sudden, she saw her mother's body being rolled out on a gurney. "Mommy!" She yelled with joy, tearing away from the butler and bolting to her mother's hand.

It was strangely cold, like it wasn't alive.

"Mommy?" Gina cocked her head to the side in confusion. Why wasn't she responding?

"Miss Gina, let's go look at the stars, okay? Mommy is a little tired from today." The butler said urgently, pulling on her hand.

"But I want to see her!"

"Not right now. She doesn't feel well." The butler scooped her up in his arms, and she started to kick and scream as the strange people put her into the ambulance. "MOMMY!!"

~*End of flashback*~

Later she learned at the police station that her parents, along with some of the other guards, were killed in a break and enter. They still didn't know the person who did it.

But they later found out it was the uncle that was estranged from my family a long time ago. My relatives had somehow figured out the will my parents left, and they wanted the money that was supposed to be passed down to me. And naturally, they needed to get rid of me first before doing so. So they have been pursuing me ever since.

I don't even know how I got here in one piece, anyway. Was this a miracle?

==============

And there is the short prologue for you! This story will start out a little dramatic and sad at first, so brace yourselves! This might turn a little angsty later, too. So just wanted to give you a heads up.

Don't forget to VOTE. COMMENT. and FAN~!

Saranghaeyeo~!

Nausheen<33